After 4 Years, I finally tested it!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacCubed, Dec 16, 2015.

1. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

So 4 years ago, I got my first PPC Macs, 2 Lombards for my birthday, and a 667MHz TiBook for Christmas. I got a charger for the Lombards, but I never got one for the TiBook which also needed RAM. Then 2 years later, I got my DLSD(which came with a charger). I put in some of the PC100 RAM from one of the Lombards, thinking it would work, but no dice(as now I know they use PC133). So the TiBook sat for another 2 years, until today, when I took the one of the 256MB sticks from my new 500MHz TiBook, and threw it in the 667MHz. I also took the hard drive out of the 500MHz to test. Now it looks like it would obviously start right? Well, when I first got the TiBook, I was extremely inexperienced with computers(I was around 11). So I basically ripped the thing apart, down to the screen. I was really dumb about taking it apart, and I ended up bending and breaking the frame, which sliced my finger open. All the parts basically sat in a box for 2.5 years until I was like "Hey, why not attempt to put that PowerBook back together?" So I put it back together, missing a crap ton of screws, I broke the DVD drive, and taped the screen back together! It (again) sat in the closet for around 2 years, then today I pulled it out, took it apart, corrected my mistakes(I was missing most of the screws so I had to improvise, using screws from a Compaq Evo N610C which died). The 'Book feels a lot sturdier than it did before I corrected everything, I took the screen off completely, and the keyboard was broken too(and for some reason I took all the keys off) so I put the keyless-keyboard back on. I plopped the HDD and RAM in, connected up a KB/mouse and external display. To my surprise it chimed, and booted up! Here are some screenshots from the 667MHz, they might be a bit blurry, I took them in Screen Sharing from my MBP
    Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 9.52.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 9.52.45 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 9.51.48 PM.png

2. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

This was during the test, just to give an idea of what this looks like!
    IMG_0745.jpeg

3. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

If you want a good home for the PowerBook, plz send. That was literally my first mac. Merry Christmas *hint hint*

4. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Nice work! It's always a nice feeling getting back to a project that was never completed and having progress, even if it's years later! I like the look of the headless-PowerBook too - it has a nice sort of charm to it still!