After 5+Months iOS 6.1.3 on Touch 4G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by touchipods, Sep 6, 2013.

1. touchipods macrumors regular

I'm still on iOS 5.1.1 because of some problems with iOS 6:

-Booting up takes longer

-Opening stock apps such as settings or camera takes longer

-Lower FPS on apps mainly games.

-Worse battery life

-App Store crashing when trying to search.

-Wifi and bluetooth issues

I know some are still using the touch 4th gen (after all it's been out since Sep 2010 and sold as new until May 2013 at Apple Store).

But my main concern is Safari. The crashing in Safari on iOS 5.1.1 frustrates me but I've read games such as Subway Surfer and Temple Run 2 lag on iOS 6.1.3 firmware. On 5.1.1 they run smooth.

If 6.1.3 has made Safari stable I may update even if performance in other areas take a hit.

Sites that always crash:

-Google News Desktop Version

-Apple iPhone 5 homepage

Honestly, when I browse other sites, it crashes as well. Even mobile sites such as espn and nfl.com and sometimes even this site. It crashes even though I have nothing running in the background and only 1 tab open.

2. touchipods thread starter macrumors regular

Now the iPhone 5s homepage does not crash on iOS 5.1.1 but the features section does:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/features/

I tested this website on my pc and it uses over 165mb of RAM on this one website.

Before buying my touch 4g I knew the specs going in and thought 256mb of RAM would be enough for 3 reasons:

1. iOS is a well-optimized OS and Apple prides itself on not wasting system resources. Thus RAM is not heavily used.

2. Compared to the iPhone 4, touch 4g has less hardware to deal with such as no constant cell connection or gps or compass. So I thought 256mb RAM would be fine while the iPhone 4 needed 512.

3. This is the most important reason and that is Apple allows no flash player on iOS. Flash eats up RAM and CPU whether it is mobile or pc devices.

I also tested before buying the product and Safari did not crash on heavy content websites.

Curious if iOS 6.1.3 fixed Safari crashing or not. Also does the iPhone 5s feature page crash iPod touch 5g?

3. SamuraiMinis, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

SamuraiMinis macrumors member

Don't remember when.

On my iPod touch 5 I have only very rarely had safari crash at all, and the reason it crashed was because I hadn't removed apps from multi tasking in a while and had a number of them being RAM hogs.

Actually I don't remember the last time it crashed on the iPod Touch 5. What I mean is that I think i remember it happening once a long time ago due to not shutting down my device in a very long time and also tons of apps in the multi tasking bar (before iOS 7). But otherwise the iPod Touch 5th Generation has performed flawlessly this past year.

4. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

On my iPod touch 4g running iOS 6.1.3 i tested going to the apple page and zooming in, and it crashes everytime. I typically have 3 tabs open. MacRumors, Facebook, google search. I don't have crashes very often on these, and never on mac rumors.

Seems to me that Safari is about the same on the iPod 4 on iOS 5.1.1 and 6.1.3.

5. touchipods thread starter macrumors regular

Oh you still have touch 4g- jailbroken or? Anyways, thank you for the response. I did some googling and it seems like the iPhone 5s features page crashes on iPhone 4S and even iPad 4th gen: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/13/4726176/does-apples-iphone-5s-web-page-crash-your-ios-device

According to that forum member and reading the comments another said it happens with ipod touch 5g as well. I tested this site on a 3gs on 5.1.1 and it did not crash and was very smooth scrolling.

Can you try these sites and see if they crash on your touch 4g with no background apps running and only 1 tab open? (sometimes they crash after zooming in or double tapping):

-nfl.com Which should lead straight to mobile site
    -msn.com same as above
    -google news desktop site
    -operationsports.com
    -sports.yahoo.com desktop site

When you say macrumors never crashes, are you using the mobile site? Because I use the desktop version on my touch 4g and it crashes consistently every 15-20 minutes...

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to 6.1.3 as it can't be any worse than it currently is right? I will probably do it by DFU restore and set up as new.

6. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

My iPod touch 4 is not jail broken. I'll get back to you with the site tests in another post. Apple.com does not Crash on my iPod touch 5

7. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

My iPod Touch 4g running iOS 6.1.3 has never been jail broken.

NFL.com does not crash for me, I scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page etc.

msn.com is crashing. I tried several times.

Google news desktop site is fine for me.

OperationSports.com seems to mostly crash if you zoom in. If I don't zoom and only scroll it doesn't crash as often. But leaving it sitting on the site will make it crash after 20 or 30 seconds if not scrolling. It's iffy.

Sports.yahoo.com desktop site crashes when zooming 30% of the time or so. But it doesn't crash on me if its just sitting on the page or if I'm scrolling and not zooming.

Desktop site of MacRumors does not crash at all on me, even when on it for 15 to 30 minutes or more etc.

Mixed results i know. Hope this helps :)

----------

Forgot to mention temple run 2. It runs fine on my 4g if you don't get notifications while playing, if you do it lags until the notification fades away.

Otherwise it runs fine, but albeit probably not quite as smoothly as on 5.1.1

8. touchipods thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, thank you for the detailed response. Some of the results you posted are exactly the same as 5.1.1 but these are different:

-nfl.com website not crashing. On 5.1.1 it crashes on first try but if I go back, it loads fully. However, if I click on an article and go back, it always crashes. :mad:

-Google news desktop site used to always crash but lately that site doesn't have as much content as in the past. But if I continue to zoom in and scroll to read, it eventually will crash.

Regarding gaming fps performance, I did some testing today. I had some games I never opened, yet had because they were free for a limited time. For example I got Infinity Blade II for free during the App Store 5 year anniversary.

Anyways IB II runs quite smooth. I also tried Injustice: Gods Among Us and it states when first launching the game that my device is not supported (probably due to 256mb RAM and iOS 6 eats up more system RAM compared to iOS 5). Now Injustice has some spots of slowdown but nothing that makes me want to stop playing. Only when I do some big power up or special move but the lag (more like a slight hitch) is totally not a problem.

Subway Surfer which I've had and played for awhile runs fine as does Temple Run 2.

I find it weird that Safari is still an issue on touch 4g while these demanding games I have runs quite well on 5.1.1 firmware. I thought it was a memory leak or javascript issue but now it seems the RAM is just not enough for desktop sites. Using logic, I just couldn't see how iOS 6 safari would run better or crash less especially when it has lower free RAM available compared to iOS 5.

Honestly I would install 6.1.3 and downgrade back to 5.1.1 if not satisfied but I tried to save my shsh blobs using iFaith and that almost bricked my touch.

9. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

I'm downloading infinity blade 2 right now onto my 4g for testing. I love these awesome free apps your able to find all over the place if your diligent :)

10. touchipods thread starter macrumors regular

Haha I don't think it's free now. :)

Also, I'm not sure if you had touch 4g when it was on iOS 5.1 firmware but did that version run smooth? My touch came with 5.1 and it was a very smooth experience and I never experienced a Safari crash the week I had it. Only after updating to 5.1.1 did my touch start to crash.

I wish I had saved shsh blobs for 5.1 but did not and thus stuck with 5.1.1 which I believe is worse at handling low RAM situations. I remember when 5.1 was released many were saying Safari crashing was fixed on iPad 1 and touch 4g. iOS5 and 5.0.1 was a bad crashing experience.

11. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

I keep up with the free apps as much as possible, so it is in my purchased list from when I got it for free ;-)

I don't remember having any problems with iOS 5.1 . But I don't go onto heavy sites very often.

It will be an an hour or 2 before infinity blade is done downloading. With a family all using our already not awesome internet (speed wise), it makes downloading 1.2 gb's over wifi take a while on the iPod touch 4 in particular.