After a crash a box appears telling me to press the power button

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brainwave89, Oct 21, 2008.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

My Power Mac G4 (running Tiger 10.4.11 - 1GB Ram) has crashed twice today and it booted to a screen that had terminal like commands (sorry I didn't write them down) along with a box telling me that I needed to press the Power Button.
    It is running now so far w/o any problems.
    I had run into the same screen last Friday when I restarted my computer and at that time I reset the PRAM and once I was able to boot successfully I verified the disk and repaired the permissions.
    I haven't installed any new updates nor software since this issue has started.

Any suggestions on why this is happening and what can be done so it doesn't happen again will be appreciated.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

What you're describing is a kernel panic. There's some screenshots of it in different versions of OS X on http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1392. Typically kernel panics are due to hardware more than software. Try running the Apple Hardware Test from your system discs to test your RAM and your processor.

3. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks JediMaster. It is a kernel panic. I will boot to Tiger's DVD to check the RAM and processor. Will the hardware test also test the hard drive? Thanks.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Not Jedimaster, but will tell you that the Apple Hardware Test that he was referring to is located on Disk 1 of the System Restore disks that shipped along with the Mac in question.

Putting in Disk 1 and holding "D" while booting will access the tests. The tests will not be found on a retail Tiger installer disk since the tests are specific to each Mac model and the retail disks can be installed on many models.

5. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

First thing I'd do is to open the side and unplug and re-seat the RAM, graphics card (remember the little locking clip), any other PCI cards and ribbon cables. Also, maybe squirt a little electronic cleaning solvent, such as servisol "Aero Klene 50", onto the connectors before re-plugging them a few times.

The logic for this is that the connections between components can be subject to a build up of tarnish over the years and this can lead to decreased conductivity. I've noticed that, when this happens to RAM slots in particular, kernel panics are often the result.

6. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

I've recently started to get it on my old G4 daily... Although it's a kid's comp now, it' still annoying. Problem is, I would like to keep this Mac purely for emotional reasons (my very first one). On the other side, lack of time to check it out thoroughly.

7. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I'd clean up and check the RAM. The only time I've had kernal panics is when I had bad RAM. On my PB G4 several years ago bought a 1GB stick to put in it and I'd get that every time.

8. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

I've never had issues with RAM before... How easy can a healthy RAM module go bad? What could be the trigger? Just ageing?