After a few weeks. iOS 6 the good & the bad

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Bathplug, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Bathplug, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

Bathplug macrumors 6502a

After a few weeks. iOS 6 the good & the bad.

The good:
    Do not disturb
    Privacy
    Limit ad tracking
    Mail pull to refresh
    Rearrange reminders
    Panorama
    Shared photo stream
    Keyboard shortcuts sync with iCloud
    iTunes app history tab & background music playback.
    No longer need to enter password for previously downloaded apps
    Apps download in the background

The bad:
    Inconsistent colours. These colours seem tacked on for the sake of it looking new.
    Status bar colours
    Phone dial keypad looks odd but still an improvement over the old one.
    Music app theme.
    Motion volume knob only works in music app.
    Volume bar on lock screen is still the old blue one.
    The password box is still blue and the stores are black in the App & iTunes stores.

App store is slow, buggy with a horizontal design and missing most recent & critical reviews. The new search cards makes it slower to look through apps. The top 25 tab that was at the bottom middle and has been replaced with genius which I've never been a fan of. Categories has now been tucked away in charts tab.

Apple maps is just crap. Where I live it appears black & white. No streetview & fly over is a gimmick you'll look at it maybe once or twice, show it some friends but useless for any form of navigation unless your spider man.

iTunes match is worse.

Facebook & twitter icons appear in the share sheets even if you don't sign into these services in settings.

Imo iOS 6 is a weak update. Made a few things worse and unnecessary additions but with a handful of new decent features.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

To make matters worse, many of the new features aren't fully realized and are either full of major flaws or have glaring omissions.

Even something as simple as 'Do Not Disturb,' a feature numerous other phones have had for years, somehow misses that most people don't have the same schedule or needs every day of the week.

Sadly, the list continues with nearly every 'enhancement.'

3. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

worst thing for me is the new itunes match implementation.

btw: you can't gift apps anymore...:mad:

4. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Apple Maps is pretty crappy, here in Atlanta it has gotten me lost a few times and the routes are not as good as Google maps. Apart from that everything about ios 6 i great

5. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

This is just my opinion. But to me, IOS 6 the final release. Seems more like just another beta. Between the issues with maps, notifications not working properly, and alot of other things that are too long to list. It just seems like it is unfinished. Almost like it was rushed out, even though they had all year to work on it. Essentially we are like guinea pigs, and they are using us to fix what is wrong with the OS. I hope they start pushing out updates soon to fix some of the things that needs fixing. Especially with notifications, but i am not going to hold my breathe. It is disappointing as i never experienced so many problems with an OS release before till now. And i have had every iphone since the original.

6. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I find it interesting that except for the mention of ICONS nothing is said about the Facebook integration. I don't use it but it was, I think, a major functional upgrade delivered in 6. Other than issues with contact and birthday syncing really nothing much has been said about the Facebook integration.

There certainly has a need to improve and smooth out a lot of things but that will just give this board things to discuss in 6.0 and 6.1 and 6.x

7. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

You can. Swipe where the "+" and title is.

8. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

I'm happy with ios6 for the single fact that my wife gets better service, less dropped calls. Her hardware is the same, but for some reason, she hasn't been complaining about dropped calls = i'm happy. :)

9. Bathplug, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

Bathplug thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point. Its a shame we'll have to wait atleast a year for apple to address any major features in which theres a good chance they'll overlook for a few more years.

Really, damn I wonder why they removed that.

I just try to ignore facebook but yes I can see why it was a major integration. I don't use it and was more annoyed by the facebook & twitter breadcrums scattered around ios and that they added an option to post & tweet from notification centre but didn't bother to add any anything else to notification centre like call, message and access to settings like wifi, 3g & bluetooth.

Thanks! I didn't realise. :)

10. urkel macrumors 68030

I think that has to do with the age of the typical iPhone users. FB integration is mostly important to kids/teens who tend to overshare every aspect of their life, but adults use FB as a tool and use more discretion as to what should be shared and what shouldn't.

As for the new products itself, it seems there is a direct link between how highly a feature was praised in ads/keynote vs how poorly it was received:

- Taller screen is nice but offers zero UI enhancements to take advantage of it
    - Passbook is not as intuitive as expected, especially considering its intended audience
    - Maps was praised so highly yet is incomplete (especially in other countries)
    - App Store improvements actually made it much worse
    - Hardware manufacturing process was highlighted yet results are a mixed bag of quality

Personally, Im not disappointed with iOS6 but I do feel that the only feature I am pleasantly surprised by is Panorama. And that's kinda sad.

11. lulumink macrumors regular

The worst thing is whether Apple has heard from our complaints at all and eventually make adjustments???

12. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Maybe I am in the minority, but I really like the new app store (except removal of app gifting) and have been extremely happy with Apple Maps.

13. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Yep, the new App Store is slow, inefficient, and buggy.

14. NedBookPro macrumors 6502

Mail...

Please apple - if you read this:
    - fix the swoosh before SMTP bug
    - on Exchange accounts, sending seems to fail most of the time especially when on wi-fi.

These problems did not exist before iOS6 upgrade.

15. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Major feature: Put a song as alarm or use Facetime over 3G.

Ahaha what a joke! This is just offensive from a software development point of view. If I would go to the CEO of my company to show him this great feature, major one, which is the inclusion of a icon in a button, he would fire me on the spot