After a Forces Shutdown, OS X Reopens All Frozen Apps

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by ouimetnick, Sep 16, 2014.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Hi Guys, So in Lion, ML, Mavericks, and of course Yosemite, why did Apple make it so when you have to force shut down a computer by holding the power button and then you turn it back on, it reopens all Apps. Including the ones that made the computer freeze. My computer is a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13" that I'm ready to throw against a wall. So slow, it's not funny. Even a fresh install of (now Yosemite) on a BRAND NEW replacement hard drive, and a new hard drive ribbon cable (they fail sometimes) the computer is a PITA to use. Even with 4GB of ram.

Any way to DISABLE this feature "that only Apple could make"?

I actually have to wait 3-5 minutes for it to launch all my apps, and wait for the frozen ones to become responsive again. What a waste of time. Even with the Reopen windows when logging back in NOT CHECKED.

Any help?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

3. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Thanks, but it isn't the same thing. If I start my computer up normal after shutting it down properly, nothing opens, and this the way it should be, as I don't have anything set to start at login.

Yet if I have Safari open with two windows, and 7 tabs, iTunes, iMessage, Mail with a specific message, and the computer locks up, I hold down the power button to force the system to turn off, and then turn it back on.

It then opens my safari windows, their tabs, iTunes, iMessage, and Mail with the specific message. This takes a long time for it to do, and iTunes is still frozen, so I have to wait 3-5 minutes for everything to smooth out.

If you force shut down, the windows reopen EVEN IF Reopen windows when logging back in is NOT CHECKED.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I'm sorry about your problem. OS X has been mature enough for a long time so that freezes are indicative of a serious problem. I would suggest rebooting to your recovery partition and checking your disk with disk utility and repairing it if possible.

5. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I have done that, and all is well. Even with a new Hard Drive and Hard Drive cable the issue still persists. It's intermittent. Sometimes I can go days with out a problem, sometimes not. It's behaving right now, but an hour ago, it was not.

Probably either a logic board or RAM issue, but when I ran Apple Service Toolkit (used internally by Apple authorized technicians like myself) no problems were found. So, my focus is on how to disable the reopening of the windows after a forced shut down. :)