After a hiatus from Apple, I want to return.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Corn Chips, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Corn Chips macrumors member

I bought a launch-day Samsung Captivate (Android), and loved it...for a while. There are numerous things that I just cannot get past.

A few of them being, AT&T locks it down anyway so there's no point in having an Android. I couldn't install the Firefox mobile beta app because AT&T only approves of Market-installed apps.

My music is a jumbled mess once it goes into my Captivate, I hardly listen to music anymore because of it. iTunes was just so damned simple.

I could go on, but that's beside the point. I want an iPhone 4.

Now I know I'm not eligible for an upgrade, so the $200 price point is gone. Luckily, my mom wants a smart phone, and these downfalls on mine don't really bother her. She said she'd buy mine off me (instead of my old iPhone 3G like she'd previously planned, I'll just give that to my dad) and I'll put that money towards getting a non-subsidized iPhone 4.

I just have a few questions about it.

Are they $400 for the 16gb?
    Do you think it's worth it for me to get one now, seeing as how Apple will just release a better one in a few months?
    How do you like yours, compared to either an iPhone 3G or a Samsung Captivate?

Thank you for your help, some good answers will definitely help my decision.

2. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I consider myself a apple fanboi, but due to AT&T's poor customer service, and coverage in my area (which their map shows "excellent" coverage) I left AT&T shortly after buying my iPhone 4. I am now with sprint and got the Evo 4G.

Now I loved my iphone, but the evo is crazy cool. I love how it is more like a little computer. You can customize everything, and overclock safely, and bla bla bla. You have a andriod phone so you know. Sprint doesn't really block anything, and you can buy root (Jailbreak) apps right from the android store.

If you are stuck with att, the iphone 4 is awesome and you will love it. I just sold mine for 650$ and it still made me kinda sad.

3. Corn Chips thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, I am stuck with AT&T. If I could leave it, I'd probably be on Sprint with an EVO 4G as well.

I'm glad to hear I'll be happy, though.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'd wait till iPhone 5 at this point...maybe get a 3GS to tide me over.

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

dude, just get one. no body here knows when or what the new iphone will have. This one just came out in June...it's been less than 5 months!!! lol, if you want an iPhone 4 go get it. When time comes for you to upgrade to the new 5, sell the 4...you'll get your money back.

6. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

You should have rooted your Captivate and run a ROM that lets you sideload apps.

It is strange for you to complain about not being able to load non-market apps when iPhone has the same restriction.

Either way, keep whichever phone makes you the happiest. AT&T doesn't care because they get your money either way.

7. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

iphone 4... go get one asap. Several of my friends have androids. They think their phones are so cool. I have to nod my head and lie through my teeth and agree with them and pretend android is cool. I just can't bear to make them sad by trying to convince them otherwise. They are my friends!

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Why? Just say "that's nice" and move on.

If your friends condition your friendship on having to agree that the chunk of metal and glass in their hands is better than the chunk of metal and glass in yours, then it's time to find better friends.

9. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Is your mom eligible for an upgrade? and are you both on the same family plan?

If so, then you can use her upgrade to get the iphone 4 for your line and give her the captivate.

Just call ATT and they will handle it.

10. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Well, I am not so sure that Apple will release a "better" one in a few months.

We may see an update to it in 7-8 months. That's a long time. And, think about it, the 3G was a 400mhz phone. I think, I am not sure, but I think the processor in the iPhone 4 can be sped up with future updates. I think they are clocking it at 800mhz and probably Apple does it because the difference in performance is nothing compared to saving every bit of battery they can.

I think an iPhone 4 will give you 3 years of nice use before you upgrade to the next REAL upgrade to the iPhone. In the future, it will be all about the software upgrades. iPhone 4 will get some updates as far as hardware, like for example, being able to be used as a credit card, or one for CDMA networks, stuff like that.

The iPhone 4 has a 1ghz processor and a 960x640 display squeezed into a 3.5" screen that runs OSX. By the time any other phone catches up with it, it'll be a couple of years down the road and Apple will release the next major upgrade.

I Love my iPhone 4. I don't regret my purchase. At least with Apple you know that the updates will come to you. And, I have a feeling that next year will be more a a software overhaul for Apple and of anything major hardware wise, will be for the iPad (like a front facing camera for FaceTime) and the Macbooks.

Basically, the iPhone 4 release was a major thing for Apple that marks the beginning of unifying the line sp you will feel like you are going from a miniature Mac (iPhone) to a Macbook Pro.

iPhone 4 ain't going nowhere. Go for it and enjoy it.

He who dies with the most toys Wins!

Oh, and I did compare my iPhone 4 side by side with a Galaxy S (Captivate) at a Samsung shop and the iPhone 4 makes the Galaxy S laughable. I mean, if it was much cheaper then OK, but it's really unbelievable when you hold them both that these devices are the same price, or they are even in the same league.

11. Corn Chips thread starter macrumors member

Going to use my mom's upgrade, give her this phone, and give my dad my old 3G.

Sweet!