After a MBP's life is over, new SSD or new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Aug 14, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

So far I love my new uMBP, but unless Apple puts some revolutionary feature in the next one, I'm not getting another one. I honestly can't think of any other feature I'd need. It's fast, but I'm not spending $1300 again for a little extra speed. Do you think 3 years down the road, a new SSD (by that time, 250 GB SSD for less than $250) would be better? A new HD is like getting a brand new computer if the CPU and RAM are still good. I'm sure there will be many more generations of MBPs to come, but I'd rather buy a $600 i7 powerhouse with Blu-Ray 2-3 years from now rather than a Mac while keeping this awesome MBP as my main portable computer. I know this is looking WAY TOO FAR ahead, but hey it's good to know what I'll be doing for the future. What do you guys think?

2. vant macrumors 65816

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Whats the point of getting every new one that comes out? SSD on the very first gen MBP would trump the newest and fastest 17" with a 7200. But as soon as SSD is the standard, developers will take advantage of the speed. Then next thing you know, the fastest SSD of today will be a slow remnant of the past. So, SSD will keep a mbp of the last 3 or so years, in the game for quite a while.

4. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

But in 2-3 years i7 will be ancient technology and Blu-Ray will be a forgotten format! :D

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Just like CDs now? Or records....even though they still sell turntables.

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

When it comes to Audio, you can't replace analog... It's not as easy or fast as opening an mp3 or playing a cd but some people love the procedure almost as much as the music.