After a week, iOS 8 GM

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Zimmy68, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

After a week of putting iOS8 through its paces (at least how I use my devices) on my 5s and iPad Air, my quick review...

Meh.

This was the first iOS version since 4 that I didn't bother with any betas.
    There just wasn't a must have feature that I couldn't wait for a stable release.

I have to say the os has been rock solid. Almost all my apps run the same way as they did in ios7.
    I think last year, that percentage was more like 70%.

Speed in both the iPad and iPhone has been acceptable, no noticeable lag.

On the downside, battery life seems to have taken a major hit for me on the iPhone, I think the new notifications are the culprit.

Really, the only major thing I notice is changes to iMessage, which I love, but its not a game changer.
    Little things, like the ability to swipe down to answer a text don't seem to work well for me, they seem to disappear before I can access it.

I haven't noticed any changes/streamlines to Siri or Maps. Maybe they are in there, I just haven't seen them.

Now, my favorite potential feature, the 3rd party keyboards, isn't available yet so maybe that will sway me.

I own about 7 "i" devices and last year, when released, I was racing to install iOS7 on all of them, this year, I won't touch them until necessary.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Most of the improvements that iOS8 brings, are still yet to come when apps are able to publish using new API.