after a year, my 15" craps out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by youradhere4222, Oct 6, 2012.

1. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

Today I turned on my MBP to find that the screen was black and staying that way. It makes the boot up noise and the white light on the front comes on temporarily, but it stays black.

Its, of course, about 14 months old and thus out of warranty. I called apple and they suggested that I take it into a local repair center for what looks to be a logic board swap. So yeah, I'm excited about spending close to $1000 to fix a 14 month old computer. I've had $500 Dells last longer than this.

2. simsaladimbamba

I guess the following does not help then?

I know it is hard to understand in your situation, as I would probably react the same, but computer failure is happening not that often, but sometimes an extended warranty gives one peace of mind.
    My 2009 MBP only had one year of warranty too and I couldn't afford the Apple Care to extend the warranty at that time in 2010 and I was often anxious about the machine failing for the following two years. Nothing has happened yet and the machine is now over three years old.

I also had a 2004 iBook for which I got the extended warranty upon purchase from the reseller (80 € vs the 240 € Apple wanted) and it sure got used after 18 months, as the iBook of that time had a regularly failing logic board, which crapped out after around 18 months. Since then I am burned and always try to get extended warranties for purchases costing more than 500 €.

Sorry for going so off, my current job is a bit boring.

3. youradhere4222 thread starter macrumors 6502

In retrospect I should have gotten applecare, but the logic board is just so internal. If I dropped it or something then it certainly would have been my fault, but if the logic board fails after one year then that makes me think there must have been something wrong with the way it was manufactured

4. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

If you bought the machine with a Visa or MasterCard then you are covered by them since they double the warranty on any purchase.

Google it.

5. John Adams macrumors regular

They're all made in the same Chinese factories. I don't care what the die-hards say, Macs don't hold up any better than the leading pc brands.

6. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

These*

I have a 14 year old toshiba tecra that still kick in :) still works fine.

7. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

I can't believe you just accepted that it was out of warranty by 2 months and are going to pay? You really don't need to push very hard to get them to cover it a bit over a year when you factor in the price of the 15"

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I wouldn't pay for the repairs honestly, just stupid really, that's the price of a new 13'' almost. If you need your computer obviously go for the repair but it'd be hard for me to stomach personally.

In any case I suggest Apple Care for the future.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Dunno about where you live, but here in New Zealand I've heard of people who have gotten their computer repaired two or even three years later under the consumer guarantees act. Google it and see if there are any similar regulations in your area :)

10. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm from Wellington too haha. Over the years have had a black macbook HDD/battery/top case replaced 6 months out of warranty, iphone 4 replaced 4 months out of warranty, I think my iBook had something replaced out of warranty too but can't remember what it was. Just be reasonable on the phone and you should be cool

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nicely played ;) Someone in the computer industry here told me that AppleCare is only needed for businesses, as regular consumers are covered by consumer guarantees. So even if they refused to replace it because they claimed the warranty ended a month or so ago you could argue it legally :)