After all, does wireless charging damage the device?

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
After much thought, this weekend I bought the wireless charger from Mophie. The one indicated by Apple itself. At the first recharge I made with it, I noticed that after about 2 minutes, the iPhone X was warmer than usual when charge by the adapter that came with it. Afraid, I searched the internet if this type of charging would damage my device. I found two ways of thinking on the internet: The one that damages the device and the one that does not damage the device. They have news that even says it use the battery all the time in this type of wireless charging. Should I worry or can I charge it every night with this type of charging? Remembering that I will not be putting the device all the time in the charger. Just the night.

paulschofield76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2016
I've been wirelessly charging my iPhone X for about a year. Not only do I put it on all night every night but I also put it on a wireless portable charger at work as often as I can.
My battery wear is 3% and I've not noticed any problems.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

frostbit3

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
I've been wireless charging my iPhone X since day 1 and I'm at 95% capacity according to the battery health. Mine works perfect and have never had an issue with battery life. As far as heat, I never pay attention to it since I just put it on the charging mat and call it a day.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
I've been wirelessly charging my iPhone X for about a year. Not only do I put it on all night every night but I also put it on a wireless portable charger at work as often as I can.
My battery wear is 3% and I've not noticed any problems.
I've been wireless charging my iPhone X since day 1 and I'm at 95% capacity according to the battery health. Mine works perfect and have never had an issue with battery life. As far as heat, I never pay attention to it since I just put it on the charging mat and call it a day.
Tks, Guys! So is it normal to heat up more than when recharged by the original power adapter?

paulschofield76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2016
Probably. I've always had a case on so I don't really notice but the odd occasion I haven't it gets warm near the camera. I've never had a shutdown due to overheating though

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
If you are worried about battery wearing out due to heat, spend a bit more on a wireless charger with a built-in cooling system. Both Anker and Samsung makes wireless charger with a fan and without.

I have to warn you, while Anker and Samsung chargers have very quiet fan, it's still audible when it's on a nightstand in the bedroom.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
Have you felt the back of your phone when fast charging with a 30w usb-c brick? It gets warm too... I have been charging my X for the last 6 months using the Anker 7.5w Powerwave wirless charger (the one with the cooling fan) and my battery capacity is 97% with no issues at all.

Ralfi

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I'm also weary of this, & am yet to jump on the wireless charging bandwagon.

But aim to do so with a quiet & LED-free model stand for the bed side table.

I'm of the thought that early, cheap models may have impacted batteries, so I'll be sticking with a reputable brand I think.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
If you are worried about battery wearing out due to heat, spend a bit more on a wireless charger with a built-in cooling system. Both Anker and Samsung makes wireless charger with a fan and without.

I have to warn you, while Anker and Samsung chargers have very quiet fan, it's still audible when it's on a nightstand in the bedroom.
I thought about buying this from Samsung with cooling system, but I was thinking that Mophie and Belkin are indicated by Apple itself, so there should be no problem.

Have you felt the back of your phone when fast charging with a 30w usb-c brick? It gets warm too... I have been charging my X for the last 6 months using the Anker 7.5w Powerwave wirless charger (the one with the cooling fan) and my battery capacity is 97% with no issues at all.
I bought this Mophie:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HL812ZM/A/mophie-wireless-charging-base

And I'm using the adapter that comes in the box.

I'm also weary of this, & am yet to jump on the wireless charging bandwagon.

But aim to do so with a quiet & LED-free model stand for the bed side table.

I'm of the thought that early, cheap models may have impacted batteries, so I'll be sticking with a reputable brand I think.
My biggest fear is this article posted on this site:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3229750/mobile-wireless/is-wireless-charging-bad-for-your-smartphone.html

"The problem with wireless charging, Hughes argued, is that the magnetic inductive coils used for wireless charging continue to use the lithium-ion battery to power the device as its on the pad, while a charging cord takes over that responsibility.

Menno Treffers, chairman of the Wireless Power Consortium (WPC), said lithium battery capacity does typically decrease as the recharge cycle number increases."

Other technology sites demystified this, but I'm still afraid.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Being that lazy to charge a phone isn't worth the risk for me. I'm all good with the og cable
I don't think it's the issue of laziness. Charging with the Lightning cable requires far more precision operation than wireless charging. For instance, you need to make sure the connector is aligned and not scraping the phone when charging. And yanking the phone out forcefully could damage the cable.

Wireless charging is far more convenient. Just place the phone on the charger. Wait for the ping sound to confirm charging. Pick it up when you need it.

titans1127

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
The Mophie wireless charger that came out last year always would heat the pad and my phone up while charging. My iPhone 8 Plus' battery health was down to 94% after 1 year. Did not check out how many cycles. I have upgraded to the XR and with Face ID I wanted to get a wireless charging stand for more connivence when checking and opening notifications without having to pick the phone up. I bought Samsungs wireless charging stand and i think it is a much better option vs the Mophie. Charges just as fast but with zero heat. The Samsung has a built in fan that is pretty much silent and keeps the stand plus phone cool as it charges. I feel that this will help with overall battery health in the long run since the heat is being pushed away from the phone.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
I don't think it's the issue of laziness. Charging with the Lightning cable requires far more precision operation than wireless charging. For instance, you need to make sure the connector is aligned and not scraping the phone when charging. And yanking the phone out forcefully could damage the cable.

Wireless charging is far more convenient. Just place the phone on the charger. Wait for the ping sound to confirm charging. Pick it up when you need it.
Don't yank out cables then.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
I've never had problems with Apple's cables. I have always handled it very carefully. But I opted for the Wireless charger just for the convenience. My fear is that it will somehow ruin the battery or even shorten the battery life, or even not recharge it properly or recharge it with less charge than cable recharging. That's why I bought a wireless recharger indicated by Apple itself.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Yesterday I noticed that what really heats up in this type of charging is not the battery but rather where the processor stays. It warms well under the cameras.