After all, it might not be AT&T.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by themagicman00, Aug 28, 2008.

1. themagicman00 macrumors member

I purchased an iPhone 3G when it originally first came out, was fed up with all the drop calls and decided to return the phone because I felt ATT did not provide the 3G it advertise. Need less to say, currently working in Argentina and the iPhone came out on 22 August, as you can imagine, I bought the phone thinking changing the provided would mean better service. Boy was I wrong. GPS does not work until December I was told. Calls get drop with the same frequency as with ATT in the US. In order for me to get a nice 5 min conversation, is to disable 3G. Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put 2 and 2 together. It looks like is the actual phone that's having some serious issues. The worst thing....no returns are allowed with Movistar in Argentina...you buy it, you own it.

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/08/25/firm-tests-iphone-3g-antenna-says-its-ok/

3. markgamber macrumors 6502

Old news plus it's been posted ad nauseum that they tested it with a single phone which is hardly a test at all.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

How can GPS not work until December? :confused:

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems; I have no 3G issues in California.

5. bdorpetzl macrumors regular

bdorpetzl

Port Washington, Wisconsin - Boats and Beer . . .
    Actually, they preformed the tests with more than one phone (Link).

Also the new Blackberry Bold is having problems with AT&T's network, and it has a different chipset than the 3G iPhone (Link).

It would appear that the iPhone's hardware is not the culprit.

6. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

Isn't it great when a company doesn't hide behind a shroud of secrecy and thoroughly tests it before it's released to the masses...

I think the problems are from insufficient bandwith and some flaw in the handset. I have been fortunate in my dealings so far

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Oh sorry, I haven't figured out how to read date.

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

The Bold has not been released by AT&T yet. I remember reading a while back that it was being delayed (for AT&T use) because of major problems regarding 3g.

9. bdorpetzl macrumors regular

bdorpetzl

The Bold was supposed to be out mid-July, now it looks like it'll be mid-September to October. It seems that the Bold is undergoing a bit more testing than the 3G iPhone did.

10. pavvento macrumors 6502

This is the problem you run into (Apple) when you announce product launch dates. Sure it's great to give customers an exact date, but that ties the hands of engineers and testers who report problems.

I'd much rather a product be delayed like the Bold and be released when it's ready, as opposed to being released just because a date was set. I think most people will agree that the iPhone (hardware, software) was not ready for release.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

One other thing to note too: Blackberry users are simply more well behaved than the Apple crowd. Doesn't matter what you tell people, Apple can't release products fast enough to appease the people throwing tantrums here. And when they finally get their product, they throw another tantrum because it isn't finished. There's simply no winning.

12. bdorpetzl macrumors regular

bdorpetzl

+1