Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I got the space black iPad Pro M4 13", upgraded from the M1 model. I posted that earlier thread about cancelling my order after seeing the models in the Apple Store. However I reconsidered, and I am now thrilled with my purchase. For background, the big iPad has probably been by second or third most used Apple product for a while - and I am going to use it even more due to the following reasons:

• The reduced weight is a big deal. A key thing to remember is that the iPad Pro got heavier from the 2018 version to the M1 version when they added mini LED. The new version is much lighter (thinness doesn't really matter as much) that it is much easier to carry around both alone and with the Magic Keyboard. As someone who often carried the iPad in a briefcase, you notice the weight difference immediately.
  • The screen, while not a huge leap in quality from mini LED, is indeed better
  • M4 definitely feels snappier in terms of opening apps, opening web pages, etc. By no means was the prior iPad slow, but the current interface is now noticeably smoother. I was doing work today, alternating between Teams, Safari, Bloomberg, and other apps, and everything just felt better.
  • Magic Keyboard keys feel much better - I actually got the white again to pair with the space black as I like the silver accents of the keyboard itself.
  • I upgraded my storage to 1 TB as I was bumping up against my old 256GB limit - the iPad is the device that I store the most photos and audio content (like podcasts) on, so the extra space helps

I plan on keeping this thing for four to five years, so the $1,500 total cost should amortize nicely over that time frame. I don't have either of the new pencils yet (not a big pencil person), so I will look into whether I could get the Pro or just the USB-C (I also have an 11" iPad Air and may just get the USB C pencil so it works with both iPads). But on the whole, if you are someone that carries your 13" iPad Pro around a lot, you should upgrade. I also think the 13" iPad Air is a great choice for those that want to spend less. The 11" iPad Air is a bit of an enigma now as the iPad 10th Gen is a fine choice for the 11" iPad customer at a lower price point (though you don't have the option of big storage).

Last edited:

swagginman

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
I never ever post anything, anywhere. But I am here to just say thanks and spot on, targeted comment. This is the best thing I've read/seen on the new iPads. All the "reviewers" have to pseudo-anticipate where users will be or what might matter to the ignorant and unknown masses, and are largely of no use. Other than learning I can't use my current pencil, for example. Your post is exactly down the line of things I've been waiting to hear, said just the right way. Appreciate you taking the time to weigh in with your upgrade. I too am still on my 12.9" M1 but plan to upgrade soon. Thanks!

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I got the space black iPad Pro M4 13"... Magic Keyboard... I upgraded my storage to 1 TB

I plan on keeping this thing for four to five years, so the $1,500 total cost should amortize nicely over that time frame.

You got a 1TB M4 Pro 13" with Magic Keyboard for $1,500? 😮
Can you buy me one as well please? I'll bring you cash. 😎

Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 11.45.19.png

Reactions: Adelphos33

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
I got the space black iPad Pro M4 13", upgraded from the M1 model. I posted that earlier thread about cancelling my order after seeing the models in the Apple Store. However I reconsidered, and I am now thrilled with my purchase. For background, the big iPad has probably been by second or third most used Apple product for a while - and I am going to use it even more due to the following reasons:

• The reduced weight is a big deal. A key thing to remember is that the iPad Pro got heavier from the 2018 version to the M1 version when they added mini LED. The new version is much lighter (thinness doesn't really matter as much) that it is much easier to carry around both alone and with the Magic Keyboard. As someone who often carried the iPad in a briefcase, you notice the weight difference immediately.
  • M4 definitely feels snappier in terms of opening apps, opening web pages, etc. By no means was the prior iPad slow, but the current interface is now noticeably smoother. I was doing work today, alternating between Teams, Safari, Bloomberg, and other apps, and everything just felt better.
  • Magic Keyboard keys feel much better - I actually got the white again to pair with the space black as I like the silver accents of the keyboard itself.
  • I upgraded my storage to 1 TB as I was bumping up against my old 256GB limit - the iPad is the device that I store the most photos and audio content (like podcasts) on, so the extra space helps

I plan on keeping this thing for four to five years, so the $1,500 total cost should amortize nicely over that time frame. I don't have either of the new pencils yet (not a big pencil person), so I will look into whether I could get the Pro or just the USB-C (I also have an 11" iPad Air and may just get the USB C pencil so it works with both iPads). But on the whole, if you are someone that carries your 13" iPad Pro around a lot, you should upgrade. I also think the 13" iPad Air is a great choice for those that want to spend less. The 11" iPad Air is a bit of an enigma now as the iPad 10th Gen is a fine choice for the 11" iPad customer at a lower price point (though you don't have the option of big storage).
Do you mind posting a pic of the black & white aka stormtrooper set up please …thnx !

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
M4 definitely feels snappier in terms of opening apps, opening web pages, etc. By no means was the prior iPad slow, but the current interface is now noticeably smoother. I was doing work today, alternating between Teams, Safari, Bloomberg, and other apps, and everything just felt better.
Impressive to know that the improvement in performance is noticeable even coming from the M1. I definitely felt it, having upgraded from the 2018 iPad Pro, but was unsure how much of it was simply because my iPad was already over 5 years old at this point.

Kahnforever

macrumors regular
May 20, 2024

Space black, wrong move in my view. It’s off black and from the videos I have seen, shows fingerprints and will show every little scratch. Apparently it’s a magnet for dust and hair as well.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Space black, wrong move in my view. It’s off black and from the videos I have seen, shows fingerprints and will show every little scratch. Apparently it’s a magnet for dust and hair as well.

It looks great, fingerprints and dust are just as noticeable on silver ones and with minimal care I am yet to see any scratches on any of my “darker” Apple devices.

Both are good choices.

Kahnforever

macrumors regular
May 20, 2024
It looks great, fingerprints and dust are just as noticeable on silver ones and with minimal care I am yet to see any scratches on any of my “darker” Apple devices.

Both are good choices.
Fingerprints and dust are not noticeable at all on the silver. And scratches are also difficult to see.

You can look at what people have posted about the space black MacBook Pro. It’s not good.

• Haha
Reactions: Surfsalot

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Fingerprints and dust are not noticeable at all on the silver. And scratches are also difficult to see.

You can look at what people have posted about the space black MacBook Pro. It’s not good.
What are on about, people use cases/folio etc haven’t even seen the back of mine in a folio lol

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
What are on about, people use cases/folio etc haven’t even seen the back of mine in a folio lol
Your post struck a chord.

Actually, I'm still on the fence about which model to buy and was assuming I'd naturally get black as all my phones have been. My latest one is blue though.

I took the cover off my iPad for the first time in years to check, and it's silver! I was really surprised!

I only really got black for the black bezels, but now all of them are black, as a full time case user, colours are less important to me now.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Your post struck a chord.

Actually, I'm still on the fence about which model to buy and was assuming I'd naturally get black as all my phones have been. My latest one is blue though.

I took the cover off my iPad for the first time in years to check, and it's silver! I was really surprised!

I only really got black for the black bezels, but now all of them are black, as a full time case user, colours are less important to me now.
I think with silver you will get a bit around the front edge you will see.
I have a blue 15 max love that colour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.