After battery replacement, black screen, broken wifi cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iphone3gdk, Mar 13, 2010.

1. iphone3gdk macrumors newbie

Hello, hoping for some help here, sure up a creek on this one!

I replaced the battery in my 16gb 3g and in the process of doing so broke the ring in the wifi cable where it is screwed to the housing. after assembling everything, checking, double checking. iPhone will not turn on at all.

At first I got a little red line showing a dead battery when I plugged it in, but I couldn't get it to turn on (pushed power and home button together, tried dfu etc etc). Opened it again to double check other cable connections, now it doesn't even show this red battery line anymore!

Does this cable just affect the antenna or could it have disrupted the whole iPhone from turning on?

Will appreciate the help!

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

sounds like either your new battery is no good or you did not get the dock connector assembly back in correctly. when you get this figured out then you can address the connector issue. I had one customer that had run over his iPhone and bent that connector ring. I am not sure if it can be replaced or not but I put a dab of super glue on it and he gets wifi just like normal. but check your battery, and dock connector first. that connector has nothing to do with your charging. also make sure you got the mother board back in correctly. sounds like you just got an assembly issue. Hopefully!

3. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

You can replace the wifi cable - it all just sticks in to the rear case - I take them off of my old cases for spares.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

good idea! but I was thinking the part on the mother board was damaged. it was on the one I glued.

5. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

I see - yes the miniature coax connectors - yeah gluing them would be ok as long as connections still there.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well I tried it and it worked! I just got lucky but dont put to much glue on it cause you wont be able to make a connection. I heard a saying one time "a little dab wil do ya"

7. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

My advice is to not mess with your phone and take it to someone who knows what they are doing

some people just don't have the patience/skills/memory to work on small things and not break stuff

I know a lot of friends like this, don't feel bad, its just that some people should never take apart electronics

8. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

thats funny you should advertise that everywhere!!!!

9. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

well not sure if you're being sarcastic ( with the internet and all) but from your previous post im sure you mean that :)

Honestly though I have those friends that continually break stuff when they try to fix it on their own. One guy friend tried to install a radio in his 350z and ended up blowing 4 fuses in the process

He's pretty smart too ( making over 100k ) , he just never takes the time to read the damn manual on how to do things in the proper order