After buying and returning the iphone...i can't wait for the new ipod.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Anthony8720, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Anthony8720 macrumors regular

I had a few hardware problems, as well as a consistent issue with at&t service in my area...so i had to bail out on the most anticipated device ever. I really miss the ipod on that sucker, it was amazing. Steve has already talked about osx based ipods with multitouch. So im guessing the 6G will be at least as good as the ipod function on the iphone. My question is, if it is osx based...who thinks it may even have wifi and...dare i say it...safari built in? I see no reason not to if osx is there.. Depending on pricing, this could be even more amazing than the iphone.

2. JordanD macrumors newbie

Amen.

I agree wholeheartedly. I returned my iphone today (though only because they couldn't sell :eek: ) and I made a deal to myself that I will buy the next ipod as soon as it's available. All we need now is an invitation to the press from apple like last year... "It's Showtime."

:)

3. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I doubt we'd see Safari on an iPod because it's one of the big selling points of the iPhone itself. It can't tread on iPhone sales because the iPhone is such a money-earner for them.

It might have a more OS X-like operating system, though.

4. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

My guess is that the possible Nano would be iPod with phone and a few widgets...no wifi, imho

5. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

I would be happy with just the touch screen and it running OS X, i think all this wi-fi talk is nonsense, it would be nice though, but ok i guess i could maybe kinda see wi-fi for like wireless syncing with iTunes from anywhere in your house much like the :apple:TV, but no web browser...

6. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

7. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

So does that mean the end of the scroll wheel? Currently browsing music on the iPhone is done through that flicking or whatever, and the heirarchical menu as we know it on 5G (and earlier) iPods is not quite the same (with the options to browse by artist, genre, etc on the bottom of the screen instead of at the main menu of the iPod). If we're assuming taht the 6G iPod will be iPhone minus the phone (and most likely full web browsing) is it safe to assume that the scroll wheel is going to be phased out? Maybe there will be that virtual scroll wheel we've heard of before? Or maybe the patent about having a touch sensitive surface on the back of the device will be used? Thoughts?

8. jialuolu macrumors regular

I hope that wi-fi will be built in so we can purchase songs from the iTMS. I think that that's inevitable and maybe they can get away with leaving it out of the 6G iPod if it has the large touchscreen, but it must be in the works!

9. Anthony8720 thread starter macrumors regular

I really do think this is the end of the clickwheel. Apple is all about the "evolution" of their products. They have filed for so many multitouch patents now that it seems clear where they are headed. I actully prefer multitouch over the click wheel, so I am personally hoping it is replaced by this technology. I think it's nice how the iPhone hype has carried over to the iPod. It's pretty clear that with the iPhone, the phone part needs work, but the iPod is breathtaking. I was sitting at a bar tonight and some people next to me were talking about the new ipods, and how cool it would be if they were like the iPhones ipod. And yes, I would bet a lot that safari will be in there, and yes, I'm probably going to buy more stock soon..

And about purchasing songs over wifi. I think that will happen eventually, but I don't think you will be able to do it independent of your mac. Im guessing you will have to be on your home network, and Im also guessing it will be a functionality that is implemented around the same time the apple tv gets it. I don't think they will allow it over hotspots, because im pretty sure they will charge more for that ability. And i'm pretty sure people would just rather wait until they get home...but who knows..thats the fun of all of this!

10. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I'm pretty sure we all know the safe bets. Everything currently on the iPod remains on the iPod. It doesn't get the iphone home screen... Just the iPod home screen. From the iPod home screen (list format, not icon bed), you can get to the new clock features, calendar, and photo viewer. You get coverflow, and likely wireless media sharing. But obviously... No phone, no camera, no web browser, no Google Maps, no YouTube... Nothing that requires Internet access of any kind. Nothing but PMP and limited PIM features, and casual gaming of course. Likely around the same price as before. Maybe "one more thing" but maybe I already nailed that too.

We'll see. Nothing else, including the spurious Nano rumor, makes sense. Only BIG question will be storage, if Apple decides to go all-flash... Which could easily be a mistake, even though a solid state device would be infinitely more stable.

~ CB

11. Anthony8720 thread starter macrumors regular

OSX was put int he iPhone specifically to run "full scale" applications, and to allow for smooth transitions and animations. I see no reason for the ipod home screen and list view to remain. If it did, what the point of osx being in there? Also, whats the point of multi-touch being there as well? Just for pinching photos? I doubt it. I think we will all be surprised in the coming months.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I can not see it being better then the iPhone since its rumored to be a phone less iPhone. Maybe a little better with some minor fixes, but the shock of the newness of the iPhone will never be matched

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think the only reason os x is making it to the ipods is cover flow. for me, the biggest draw about the iphone was the internet. putting these features in an ipod, though cool, would cannibalize iphone sales.

14. Mugs macrumors regular

Iv already put this sumwhere else, but wudnt it b cool if the ipod had the new leopard front row as the home screen!!! n u cud flick it round to movies, photos etc!!! I no it probs wont happen but it wud be cool n look amaaazing!

15. Anthony8720 thread starter macrumors regular

Even though I think leopard features being included would be a little far fetched..I don't think it is entirely unlikely. Apple is really shooting for complete convergence now. And with their recently outed patent application for sharing files via wireless devices, you would think that they would want the iPhone and new IPod to be able to talk to leopard wirelessly. So who knows... I for one think this iPod is going to be even better than the one on the iPhone. Most anylysts are predicting it's release at macworld 08. This would give them plenty of time to play around with leopard, and possibly implementing it into the iPod...Only time will tell.

16. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Meh. The "home" screen could be "front row" or it could be a list view. I think you're a little too star-struck if you think a "sane" product needs to have something "splashy" to be functional. Clicking "iPod" on the iPhone gives you a very NICE start page. You could even make the bottom "2 rows" instead of "1", so you have two rows of customization, maybe full-color buttons like the iPhone home screen who knows. It'd still be cool.
    The POINT... is that a pun? :D Anyway, the point of multi-touch is that its ALSO "touch", right? Moreover, think outside the box. "Notes" should be fully HTML capable by then. Moreover, the coverflow "file browser" should be in place by then as well. You can pinch your PDFs and Word documents all you like (along with your photos). I think YOU'LL be surprised, I won't... Everything I've said will simply "come to pass". :D I'll be happy though, my iPhone will get all the new features too. Stop thinking you might get Safari though. I don't think the iPhone owners want to hear the complaining later. ;) You'll have more than enough to celebrate though. If I didn't have an iPhone, I'd probably be grabbing for a 6G iPod too.

~ CB