After calibrate battery, my battery health drop 3%...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by matrix07, Aug 18, 2014.

1. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

from 96% to 93%, while it took 5 months to drop from 100% to 96%.

Is this normal? Doesn't look like it for me.
    Is calibrate battery necessary?

[​IMG]

2. Newtons Apple, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Sometimes the true battery health is not known until you do a calibrate.

These batteries do not last forever.

3. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Oh.. I see.

4. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Also, don't calibrate your battery. Apple has updated all of their battery info and no longer recommends intentionally adding cycles to the battery for any reason (calibration, "exercise," etc).

www.apple.com/batteries/

"With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle."

In your case you didn't actually cause the battery to lose 3% of capacity (that's just the effect of calibration), but in general it's not worth doing a deep discharge just to increase battery capacity accuracy slightly.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

Your battery is fine. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

6. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Oh.. well...

----------

Damn.....

I'll read your link. Thank you.