After clean install: App Store purchases gone?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cairene2011, Oct 23, 2014.

1. cairene2011 Guest

I just did a clean install of Yosemite. Saved everything to TimeMachine just in case, but would prefer to reinstall things manually in order to avoid cluttering my fresh system right away.

Now I just logged into the Mac App Store and under "Purchases" I found barely 1% of my actual software. (Mavericks, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Yosemite and some odd game)
    My most use software is all missing though: Adobe Photoshop Elements, Aperture, iMovie, CameraBag 2, DaisyDisk...

When I go on their respective product pages in the AppStore, it asks me to pay for them again in order to install. This certainly can't be the only option!? :eek:

Do I really have to use my TimeMachine backup in order to get my software back?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is it possible you used a different apple id?

3. cairene2011 thread starter Guest

No, that's impossible, I've only ever had 1 Apple ID. Also an odd selection of my very recent purchases is still available, just not all of them.
    I have, however, switched between the UK store and Austrian store quite often over the course of the past few years, because I stay in both countries frequently. So maybe this could have messed up my history? Guess I install a TimeMachine backup and call Apple before a second attempt...

Damn... so annoying. :rolleyes:

4. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

I had a similar problem but with my iPad for in app purchases.
    When it asked me to purchase and showed the "buy" button, after clicking it, it said that I have already purchased this and it re-downloaded the in app purchases.

Could you try picking a cheaper app and testing by just going ahead and trying to purchase again and see what happens?

GOOD LUCK!

5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Have you logged into both stores? I think if you do that you'll see all your apps.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

AppleIDs are a nightmare. I had some stuff bought in the UK, and I have to log out and back in with a different ID to get updates. Restoring might still present problems; it may not help for future upgrades even if the applications you move back work (assuming they do).

I'd contact Apple first.

7. cairene2011 thread starter Guest

Hi guys

Thanks so much for chiming in! I contacted Apple and they confirmed what all of you said. The reason for the mess-up is me jumping between different countries - although I've got say: I've been doing this for the past 3 years and never noticed any missing software until now, but okay, I probably just didn't realize.

Apple were very eager to help solving this problem (even promised, they wouldn't close communication until all of my apps were back... that's cute :)). They also suggested like DotCom2 to click on the "Buy now" button and cross all available fingers that it won't charge me.... We shall see!

I miss the days when we had hard copies of the software we owned. Is it possible to archive my purchased apps to an external hard drive in the future? Where in the system would I find the installer - or does it delete itself after installation from the Mac App Store?