After CNET TechTracker, Now What?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kashchei, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Now that CNET pulled the plug on TechTracker for Mac, I was wondering how others keep the software on their machines up to date. I actually liked TechTracker and was sad to see it go, so does anyone know of any comparable software?

2. flynz4, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

flynz4 macrumors 68040

I try to keep my machine as lean as possible. I generally prefer fewer (great) software programs rather than lots of crap. Whenever available, I buy from the MAS because I love the fact that it updates asynchronously from program usage... and I also value the licensing policy to be used on all of my Macs.

When an application is not available on the MAS... I evaluate hard if I really want it... and when that answer is still yes, then I put up with the crappy upgrade procedure that generally triggers an update upon program launch... which is the worst possible time to upgrade software (exactly when you want to use it).

Sometimes MAS software my be slightly de-featured from SW available directly from the vendor due to Apple policies such as sandboxing. Generally, I would evaluate the options on a case-by-case basis, but to date... I have always chosen the de-featured MAS SW. To date, the benefits of the MAS have outweighed any minor program features.

/Jim

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I know the site MacUpdate has an app that does this here, but I have never used it.

Personally, if an app is not either on the App Store or does its own updates using Sparkle or similar, I'm unlikely to even consider it.

4. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thank you so much for the helpful information--I've already downloaded MacUpdate--as well as the pep talk on using apps only from the App Store. I'll wean myself towards this goal.

5. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

MacUpdate ONLY, for me. I download wanted updates and install at my leisure.

6. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

MacUpdate Desktop app for me, much better (but not perfect) for me than Techtracker.

In case it is not clear this is a separate MacUpdate app which monitors your software, that you install, not just the MacUpdate website

Tip If you download direct from the MU app it gives the downloaded file its version name which many apps don't.

----------

Beware MAS.....I love it in many ways, but only nine months ago I bought Omnigraffle 5 for $100. Now Omnigraffle 6 is coming and if I want it I will have to pay $100 again...nine months later.

I could have originally bought Omnigraffle 5 from Omnigroup store for $100, and now I would be paying half price to upgrade to version 6.

7. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the tip, omitted version numbers can be a pain to contend with.

8. Xe89 macrumors regular

Are there any applications that don't auto update today? I mean there's Mac App Store and Sparkle, and bigger brands have their own update mechanisms like Microsoft Office, Adobe, Steam, Firefox, Chrome, Skype, Spotify...

9. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I agree keep a lean as possible. less is more.