?? after contract end

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by victry1, Feb 7, 2008.

1. victry1 macrumors newbie

I posted in a different part of MacRumors & realized I should have put the thread here. This is what I posted:

I would like to know what is going to happen at the end of my 2 year contract & suppose I go onto a different phone. Is my iPhone going to work as an iPod, notes, Wi-fi? I mean it has Wi-fi, I would hope it would still work as everything but a phone. Has there been any word on when they will be able to be unlocked, say if you want to travel to a different country? I'm new to AT&T and unlocked phones, etc. I love my phone-think it's great, but when I think about these issues IMO they need to be dealt with. I wasn't thrilled switching to AT&T to begin with, but to think I'm going to have a brick if don't continue after 2 years is bothersome.

I realize no one knows about @ the end of the 2 years what it's going to be, but, I for one am going to email Apple.

I think the AT&T rate for the iPhone plan is good, but what if you switch plans, say to a BB & 6 months later back to the iPhone - is that another 2 year contract.

2. victry1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple store says

Well, I stopped in the Apple store today and asked what happens if you don't continue with AT&T at the end of the 2 years. The consensus was that it won't work as anything if it is not activated as a phone. Bummer.....:(

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

doesn't really surprise me, but at least you found out for sure

4. cazlar macrumors 6502

...which is why the jailbreak efforts are so important, even if you are not interested in them currently if you are on AT&T and don't want your phones "sullied" with unofficial 3rd party software. Hopefully once you upgrade or end the contract, these methods will still be able to work and then you can just "fake activate" it and use it as a touch (with speaker etc).

5. victry1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm

Jailbreaking might be beyond my capabilities...:eek: My phone is FW 1.1.3 now, though I did think I read it has been jailbroken and now there is a software unlock. Guess I have to think about what I want overall. To me it is more important as an internet device and media player than the phone part. I also didn't realize that it would cease to work if not remaining on AT&T at the end of the contract. Of course, I'm not sure I could go back to a regular phone at this point.;)

Thanks..........:apple::apple:

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You are allowed by law (until 2009 in the U.S. anyway) to unlock your phone and use it on any network you choose. Provided the network supports your phones technology of course. ;)

7. victry1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Then why is it so accepted that the iPhone will not be unlocked.?:eek::eek: and Apple constantly thwarts the unlockers?

Though my question had more to do with the functionality of everything but the phone if I was not to continue with AT&T. I would like to keep the iPod functionality, otherwise I might consider the Touch.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It will of course work as an iPod and WiFi device any time after its initial activation. I'm not sure why anyone says different.

As for why it'll not be unlocked by AT&T or Apple, they want to keep people locked to the carriers who pay Apple a percentage of your monthly bill.

Yes, it's legal to unlock your phone. No, the carrier doesn't have to help. But it's not been legally decided yet if they can purposely relock or try to stop you. That's why Apple was careful to say their updates would only "accidentally" lock phones. Yeah, sure.