After countless tries i was able to create the "antenna" issue...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Jun 27, 2010.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

ok so since i heard about the antenna issue on thursday/friday. i been trying to recreate it at my friends house, but i was never ever able to. i tried grabbing the left in the way that everyone was talking about and nothing happened.

today i decided let me try it again and just keep trying tighter or maybe slightly diff grips with my fingers placed in different areas.

i was finally able to create the signal issue. it went to 1 bar then i just held it from the top and it went back up slowly.

Here is the thing. I had the same 3g speed with 1 bar as i did with the 5.

also it was very hard to recreate more than once. it took me many times and many grips to create it again, which leads me to believe that it must not be that easy to recreate.

either way im going with some people on here and saying that all of them probably have this issue, but u gotta make sure u hold it a certain way and be exact with the way your holding it each time to recreate it.

also im sure it depends on how much 3g u have in your area. i believe i live in an abundant 3g area, so for me its hard to recreate, but maybe for some of you with not so good 3g its easier to recreate.

either way i just wanted to make this thread. btw i tried my iphone and a friends and both did it, but only after countless tries of grabbing it and finding the right way to grab it that would cause the signal to drop.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What's with people putting quotes in their titles where they don't belong? Who are you quoting and why do you need to quote them for just one word?

3. draz macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/18.794; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

You hold your phone the right way. good job!

4. Kenal0 macrumors regular

This is the same finding I am having with both mine and my wifes phone. I can create the signal drop if I play around with holding the phone in a manner I never do and even when I drop down to 1 bar, my phone calls are not affected.
    I am in the Chicago area and I think my results are affected by the 3G signal in my area which must be pretty robust. For myself the signal problem is a non issue. I hope it gets resolved for everyone else.

Remember when the 3G first came out all the problems people had and the fix was to turn off 3G if not needed as the Edge was more robutst. That was more an ATT issue but is seems every release it is something.

Kenal0

5. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

exactley what i have! glad im not the only one.

6. hypoh macrumors member

hypoh

Thanks for believing.

7. Shorties macrumors 6502a

Yeah my findings in the Santa Barbara area were the same as yours: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQBscc7jong

I think grammatically he was trying to do this: 'antenna' I don't know what those are called though. (Are they just apostrophes?)

8. Kenal0 macrumors regular

I am pretty sure there are a few more that are satisfied. The issues always seem to get worked out to most peoples satisfaction eventually.
    There is always a very small fraction that will never be happy.

Did I mention I now wear my heavy winter ski gloves when using my phone. :)

Kenal0

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Those are single quotes and grammatically that is still incorrect. You only use QUOTATION marks when quoting and you only use single quotation marks when quoting within a quote. And only means only, it is never grammatically correct to use quotation marks outside of quoting.

10. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

do you guys think this can be fixed by software? how?

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You're just going to get a lot of opinions based on nothing. No one who can post in these forums has done any real scientific testing on the antenna nor do they know the software behind it.

12. draz macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/18.794; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

A lot of things can be fixed by software, even if it looks like a hardware problem

13. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

example? im just curious.

14. FMLFMLFML macrumors member

I was also able to recreate. Using two hands, wrapping phone in copper and making calls with a hand and foot wrapped in tinfoil leads to dropped calls occasionally. It's slightly worse when done in a closet.

Hence, I want a free bumper.

15. draz macrumors 6502a

Only because it was brought up earlier tonight... one of the many Toyota recalls earlier this year was fixed with a software update.

Yes that is a car and we are talking about phones but that is just an example of how something was fixed with a software update while many thought they had to fix it by doing something physical to vehicle.

16. lunch macrumors member

I had trouble with the antenna issue right from the start. It happens consistently when I'm in an area that has weak 3G coverage and no Edge coverage, which happens to be inside my house. The coverage kept seemingly switch from "No Service" to 2 bars for no apparent reason. I discovered that if I moved my hand, I could toggle the bars on and off. There is No Service when I have it in my left hand with my palm over the black line on the lower left and left pinky over the black line on the lower right. This is how I commonly hold my phone -- with my hand exactly like this. I didn't discover it was "my fault" until news reports started coming out. I guess I'll have to get a case now.

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm pretty sure that the people who deny this problem exists probably just live in an area where the 3G network is very robust. There is an area in my city (where I will be moving too in 3 weeks) where I cannot, for the life of me, reproduce this problem. In fact, had I purchase this very same phone 3 weeks later, I too would be skeptical this antenna issue exists.

18. dagomike macrumors 65816

If after extensive use in many places you have good call quality I wouldn't worry about it. I don't care about bars, I just don't like the dropped calls.