Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miss-tippy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
i have a lot of older photos that i wanted to archive, so i created an archive but all of the original photos are still in the folder.
can i delete the originals now or would that permanently delete them from my computer?
thank you!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Yes you can.

As you created a .zip file/archive with all the contents you choose to compress/make an archive of, be sure to save the .zip file at a safe place, so you don't accidentally deleted that file.

Then you can delete the original files and folders.

But beware that a .zip file might get corrupt due to copying, which could cause the .zip file not to be extractable in the future.

Aside from having one file (.zip) instead of having multiple files and even folders, did you gain any HDD space? Meaning, is the .zip file that much smaller than the files/folders you choose to compress?

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
i have a lot of older photos that i wanted to archive, so i created an archive but all of the original photos are still in the folder.
can i delete the originals now or would that permanently delete them from my computer?
thank you!

I'm guessing the ones in the zip are only about 5-10% smaller in total? Better not to zip them, the disk space savings aren't worth the fact that just one single corruption can nuke them all in one go. Just put them inside one folder. You can buy huge external disk drives for peanuts, buy one of those and put the folder on that (and backup elsewhere as well)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.