after disk erase i cannot re install OS X...there is disk to install on... Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by samueldl, Apr 7, 2008.

1. samueldl macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently have been having major kernel issues with my old Powerbook G4. I decided after trying every other option i could find, that i should use disk utillity - erase disk option.
    I booted up in target disk mode and used my iMac to erase the Powerbook hard disk, and then chose to use a dmg of OSX install disk as the replacement disk...(stupid? i think so)
    and now when i start up the powerbook, i dont have kernel panics, but i start with the 'choose you language screen', awesome..... or so i thought, now when i went to install OSX on the powerbook, there are no destination drives to select....what can i do?.....can i still clone another powerbook or ibook, or even my Imac? not sure... please help as im pulling hair out etc....

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Did you just erase the hard drive's volume, or did you delete its partition? Use Disk Utility to make sure your drive is partitioned (1 partition, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format).

Also, it must be "Apple Partition Map" for the type—GUID Partitions will not boot on PPC Macs.

3. samueldl thread starter macrumors newbie

Im pretty sure i erased the volume. I dont think i had partitioned the drive since last re install? would that be right?

So...use target disk mode again to use IMac disk utillity to partition drive?... if there is no drive when i get to 'select destination' screen on the intall will it still mount via firewire?

thanks for your help dude.