Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hi guys,

I just started learning After Effects and will eventually be sticking 3D scenes into video. (I'm obviously not there yet but I am learning the interface).

Anyway, After Effects instantly gobbles up 16 gigs of Ram as soon as I load a video in (Its about 30 seconds in 1080p), and once I add a color correction filter it jumps to 18 gigs. I have 24 gigs in my machine (its the one in my sig).

Is this just memory After Effects is grabbing for use later? Or is it really using all of this RAM? I'm too new to After Effects to know :/

I suspect too it may be because I'm using 1080p video but again, I'm too new to know : /

Sylonien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
I don't know if other people do this or not but I tend to create a proxy first so it's not trying to render a 1080p frame each time whilst doing my effects in AE. Find it works quicker and uses less RAM.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, use proxies. You got a MacPro? You get the most out of After Effects with a $$$ nVidia Quattro card. There are tricks to enable Cuda in cheaper nVidia cards, but drivers seem to be a problem.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thanks guys for the suggestions :)

I haven't learned about proxies yet but I will look them up. Trying again with smaller video tonight reduced my ram usage dramatically.

I also plan on getting a quaddro card in the future, that, along with a third monitor will be my "graduation present to myself" once I finally graduate college :D

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
As far as I know, After Effects uses ram for storage but not for rendering. AE uses only 4GB of ram fixed. But all the preview is based on video ram. So, if you have 300 GB of ram is not different than having 6GB. But video ram would make that difference, and processors.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
First off which version are you running?
RAM has been the major topic with AE for years.
When we were stuck with 32bit AE/OS, it was overkill to install 16GB.
Lately its 32GB with AE 5.0 (5.5 ready to install just too lazy here) on OS X 10.6.8.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Hi guys,

I just started learning After Effects and will eventually be sticking 3D scenes into video. (I'm obviously not there yet but I am learning the interface).

Anyway, After Effects instantly gobbles up 16 gigs of Ram as soon as I load a video in (Its about 30 seconds in 1080p), and once I add a color correction filter it jumps to 18 gigs. I have 24 gigs in my machine (its the one in my sig).

Is this just memory After Effects is grabbing for use later? Or is it really using all of this RAM? I'm too new to After Effects to know :/

I suspect too it may be because I'm using 1080p video but again, I'm too new to know : /

load a video? as in a .mov file or a still frame sequence? if you are having problems with speed while trying to work on a project try dropping the resolution to half or quarter.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
First off which version are you running?
RAM has been the major topic with AE for years.
When we were stuck with 32bit AE/OS, it was overkill to install 16GB.
Lately its 32GB with AE 5.0 (5.5 ready to install just too lazy here) on OS X 10.6.8.

I'm running AE 5.5 on the Mac Pro in my signature.

load a video? as in a .mov file or a still frame sequence? if you are having problems with speed while trying to work on a project try dropping the resolution to half or quarter.

They are movie files shot with a Canon 5D Mark II. They come out as .mov files.

Sylonien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
As far as I know, After Effects uses ram for storage but not for rendering. AE uses only 4GB of ram fixed. But all the preview is based on video ram. So, if you have 300 GB of ram is not different than having 6GB. But video ram would make that difference, and processors.

Does it? So would it make the difference if you had a 1gb or a 2Gb video card?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I'm running AE 5.5 on the Mac Pro in my signature.
sorry I still cant see that in your sig.

They are movie files shot with a Canon 5D Mark II. They come out as .mov files.
Ive heard probs with the QT container that the Canons use. I work in 1080p mode at all times but work with mostly vector, pixels and 3D rendered files.
I find the vectors from AI tend to kill our Mac Pro 12 cores more than pixels/3D renders which are basically pixels.
I check back on my notes on where the QT from Canons were problematic.
On a sidenote, Ive done a few R3D files with AE at 4k and at times it feels like its real time but then....you get the drift :p

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
sorry I still cant see that in your sig.

Ive heard probs with the QT container that the Canons use. I work in 1080p mode at all times but work with mostly vector, pixels and 3D rendered files.
I find the vectors from AI tend to kill our Mac Pro 12 cores more than pixels/3D renders which are basically pixels.
I check back on my notes on where the QT from Canons were problematic.
On a sidenote, Ive done a few R3D files with AE at 4k and at times it feels like its real time but then....you get the drift :p

Thanks for the info!

Here is the specs of my computer (Not sure why they don't show up):

Hexcore MacPro 3.33ghz - 24 gigs ram - ATI 5870

I will look into the proxies people are talking about. I have lynda.com and digital tutors subscriptions and just ordered an after effects book (This one: (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240814150 )

I'm hoping one of them will cover it ;)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Thanks for the info!

Here is the specs of my computer (Not sure why they don't show up):

Hexcore MacPro 3.33ghz - 24 gigs ram - ATI 5870

I will look into the proxies people are talking about. I have lynda.com and digital tutors subscriptions and just ordered an after effects book (This one: (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240814150 )

I'm hoping one of them will cover it ;)
Sorry I mean I didnt see which version for After Effects. It helps to know that since older version didnt support 64bit OS.
I would convert the files to something easy to work with.
You can use MPEG StreamClip (freeware) and convert to smaller proxies.
If you have any NLE e.g. Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro you can also use that.
I dont generally work with 5D clips and yes there are cases where its problematic from the original clips thus why others suggested proxies.
After Effects is my fave app next to Maya.
Your in for a great ride ;)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Sorry I mean I didnt see which version for After Effects. It helps to know that since older version didnt support 64bit OS.
I would convert the files to something easy to work with.
You can use MPEG StreamClip (freeware) and convert to smaller proxies.
If you have any NLE e.g. Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro you can also use that.
I dont generally work with 5D clips and yes there are cases where its problematic from the original clips thus why others suggested proxies.
After Effects is my fave app next to Maya.
Your in for a great ride ;)

Thanks! I'll look into MPEG Streamclip. (Its After Effects CS5.5 I'm using). I got into Maya when I had to take a 3D modeling course last summer and have been splashing around in it ever since. Now that I am learning more I started learning After Effects 2 or 3 days ago and am having a blast with it as well.

I can't wait until I get to where I can put a 3D render into a video clip :) I have been watching all kinds of videos on Digital Tutors on how to do that. (I just have to graduate so I have more time to spend on it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.