After Effects After Upgrading To Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kpeters213, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Kpeters213 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am currently using Tiger, but I want to upgrade to Leopard. The only thing that is stopping me is that I have lost my key number for After Effects and I do not want to register it to get it.

If I backup my computer then do a clean install of leopard, will I need my serial number when I restore my data?

Thanks for any help.

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Just backup your system, install leopard and then use the time machine to restore your files/programs. I never been asked to re-register any of my programs after restoring my system, except once (with PHOTOSHOP) where i had problems with the program before i backed my system (i.e. the photoshop file was corrupted before backup). i was speaking with my brother yesterday about moving from tiger to leopard and he told me it was smooth transfer. So go for it.

3. Illicit macrumors 6502

Leopard installation doesn't touch any of your personal apps or documents. Don't worry.

4. Kpeters213 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Kpeters213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, but if you don't mind me asking what program do you suggest for backing up my computer before the switch?

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Carbon Copy Cloner - use it to create a complete, bootable backup of your system in its current state.

Doing a "clean install", you would lose all your documents/data. If you upgrade, you'll still have this lot but personally I'm not a fan of upgrading an OS... I always go for the clean install. CCC will ensure you've got a backup in case the upgrade doesn't go to plan though, so it should be all good. :)

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I second the use of CCC
    It has saved me more than once

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. Kpeters213 thread starter macrumors newbie

But I want to backup my drive, then erase it and upgrade to leopard, and finally restore the data. I've been told that I won't have to enter my serial numbers. Now just t make sure. all this is correct.

9. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

This is how to do it:

1) use the time machine program to backup your system in an external hard drive or time capsule.

2) use the leopard DVD you have to format the laptop and install leopard.

3) after you install leopard double click again on the installation icon in the dvd. the computer will ask to restart to go back to installation mode.

4) I can't remember the menus, but i think one of the menus called disk utility, from their pick restore from time machine, then pick the date you want to restore (obviously it will be the last date, hopeful today!)

5) few minutes or hours depending on your connection and the size of your system...system back intact, all your files, programs.

hope this help

10. ipaqowner macrumors member

How can you use Time Machine...that is one of the new features of Leopard...which hasn't been installed yet?...the OP is using Tiger.

11. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Oops

oops, My bad! u can use carbon copy cloner or superduber they are compatible with tiger.

12. talentsky macrumors newbie

I came up with the similar problem ,with Tiger system now,and got a time capsule recently , how to back up with Time capsule in Tiger (my hard drive is full and lack of the portable one),for it's not operating in Tiger?in aim to upgrade to Leopard afterward. Use the USB connection?
    thanks a lot.
    Joan

13. vastvision macrumors newbie