after effects and 3d question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by X1Lightning, Sep 23, 2010.

1. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

i need to make a few large hoops that have depth to them and be able to flip them in 3d space, now i know how to manage the object once its in after effects, but what do i use to create something like that? that can then go into after effects?

I have heard its possible to do in photo shop and then import the psd to AE
    but i cant figure out how to draw 3d in PS

can anyone clue me in ? :eek:

2. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Perhaps something like THIS will help?

You can learn to do almost anything with the free videocopilot tutorials.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

To manipulate a 3D object in 3D space you need to use a 3D program. AE can work in 3D space but only with 2D objects. Depending on how complicated the hoops are you could try and make them out of separate 2D objects in multiple layers, bring those layers into AE as a comp and then make that 'ring comp' a layer into a master comp.

Lethal

4. X1Lightning thread starter macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I love Videocopilot.net i have learned a lot from that site. but i have not been able to find anything about what i am trying to do

I saw a clip of someone taking a 3d render in a psd made in photo shop extended and import that into after effects, and they could rotate that in any direction they wanted. it really looked nice. but the clip didn't tell me how they made the render in PS just showed how they imported the psd into AE and used it

maybe this is just more of a photo shop extended question. as i know what to do once i get it back into AE i just cant do anything in PS to save my rear.....

5. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Like Lethal said, you need a 3D program to do this. Photoshop and AE are able to import 3D files, but you can't create actual 3D elements.

There are ways to fake 3D, by multiplying layers many times and shifting them in z space. Or there are plugins like zaxwerks that can do some rudimentary 3D. But the quickest and easiest way is still to use a dedicated 3D program.