After Effects and ProRes, and Adobe Customer Service

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chris7, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Chris7 macrumors 6502

Hello. I own Final Cut Pro, but not After Effects. I am wondering if After Effects supports ProRes, or if I would need to transcode my ProRes clips/sequences into an Adobe codec in order use After Effects.

This should be an obvious question, but I was just told by Adobe sales that After Effects supports both ProRes and AIC natively, and that this info was on their site. After I hung up I looked and the info was not there, so I called back and was told they did not know, and could not transfer me to someone who did.

By the way, is Adobe Sales/Customer Service usually this uninformed and misleading?

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I can't speak for Adobe, but Apple reps are pretty uninformed for anything beyond run of the mill, basic questions. AFAIK AE should work w/any QT codec you have installed on your machine. ProRes would not be a good 'go between' codec unless both parties own FCS.

Lethal

4. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am using AVCHD, which is transcoded into ProRes on import to FCP, so I don't have much choice re. which codec to start with.

I am still learning FCP and have never exported a QuickTime file. From glancing over a few chapters in the FCP user manual, it seems I may be able to transcode ProRes into a common codec (such as HDV) before exporting into After Effects using the "Export Using Quicktime Conversion" process. Is this correct? Surely Adobe does not support ProRes natively (?).

Is there a way to just install ProRes on my computer for use as a "QuckTime codec," and let After Effects use it from there?

Thanks for your replies. I don't think either Adobe or Apple would help me figure out something like this, even though it seems a basic question for a common workflow.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Not that I use AE extensively, but ProRes works fine for me when I've had to use it in AE. Transcoding to HDV would be a horrible idea though.

Lethal

6. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. So AE does work with a ProRes file with no transcoding involved? Is this done because Adobe supports it or because it can be installed on to the computer and used to support any QuickTime file. (Again, please pardon, my knowledge of QuickTime is very limited).

7. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

When you install FCP, the ProRes codec gets installed in the system folder and is available to any quicktime app to use. I have never used AfterEffects on a mac, but if it uses the quicktime api, then it should work with ProRes if you have the codec installed.