Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I have a file that I am trying to paste on a new layer in After Effects CS4 directly from copying from Adobe Illustrator CS4 and every time I try to paste it the application says not responding and doesn't paste. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I have a super computer with 9gb of ram etc. so I'm not concerned with processing speed. Please help.

Mods if this is in the wrong section can you post in the right one?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I have a file that I am trying to paste on a new layer in After Effects CS4 directly from copying from Adobe Illustrator CS4 and every time I try to paste it the application says not responding and doesn't paste. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I have a super computer with 9gb of ram etc. so I'm not concerned with processing speed. Please help.

Mods if this is in the wrong section can you post in the right one?
Are you trying to paste a vector as a mask into AE? Or you want to bring it in as a layer?

MacMovies

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2004
From the After Effects help files:

To make the data copied from Illustrator compatible with After Effects, the AICB option must be selected in the Files & Clipboard section of the Adobe Illustrator Preferences dialog box.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
From the After Effects help files:

To make the data copied from Illustrator compatible with After Effects, the AICB option must be selected in the Files & Clipboard section of the Adobe Illustrator Preferences dialog box.
Supports vectors from my understanding.
If you do need to copy and paste vectors from Illustrator, use any layer (Solid usually) and apply a mask then while Mask is selected, paste.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Supports vectors from my understanding.
If you do need to copy and paste vectors from Illustrator, use any layer (Solid usually) and apply a mask then while Mask is selected, paste.

hmm maybe that might be the issue. Do I apply the mask in illustrator? How do I do that? I'm pretty Illustrator illiterate.

I have that done already.

Are you trying to paste a vector as a mask into AE? Or you want to bring it in as a layer?

That's a good question. I don't know. I just took someone else's image that they created and it has a bunch of different paths. I just want to copy that from illustrator and paste into after effects because I need to be able to keep the paths in tact. Every time I cut and paste by selecting all>copy>then paste into AE I get the spinning beach ball in AE.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
After Effects only supports vectors from Illustrator via copy/paste.
We use this option for masks, animation paths etc...
if you need the actual file imported, then save as EPS or AI (default).
Then import into AE.
We also like to use Illustrators layering capabilities so we tend to group the layers within Illustrator in a working animation workflow.
Now In AE you have the option to select Raster so that you can scale the imported doc up and down without losing quality. AE supports vectors very well. Only problem is that some options will not work on that doc with Raster on.
Good luck, After Effects next to Maya makes my work life worth waking up too ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.