Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dougaha18

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Chicago
Has anyone seen Adobe After Effects CS6 with a student discount? I bought CS6 Web and Design Premium and that is the only other program I use outside the package.

My other options are Production Premium and the Master Collection but those include a lot of things I don't need.

Thanks in advance for any responses. :)

Birone

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
You might consider going the route of adobe creative cloud. If you have a .edu its 29.99 a month. You have access to every single CS6 application with the full desktop application for download. I believe they let you try it out for a month, but after that you're locked in to the contract for a year at $29.99 a month.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I'm going to suggest a different thing here if you can't get a hold of an educational version of AE, try Motion 5.

Though not exactly AE it will help with the core fundamentals of motion graphics that can be applied to AE. Further more it's cheap @ $50 it is a bargain.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
You might consider going the route of adobe creative cloud. If you have a .edu its 29.99 a month. You have access to every single CS6 application with the full desktop application for download. I believe they let you try it out for a month, but after that you're locked in to the contract for a year at $29.99 a month.

I thought about this as well, but if the student Production Suite is $400 (journey ed) I might as well have a way to continue my learnin when the year expires. I did not realize student CC locked you in for a year!

Students should be cheaper than $30 a month IMO, after all you are supposed to spend some time studying.

Edit: I want FCPX, but i've already dropped $950 on the third suite, you know, invest in a system you can grow with (facepalm). I feel it's about time for X to get a major update. If I bought X right before they make you pay for another upgrade, I'd travel to Cuppertino just to blow my brains out.

I'm all for learning Premiere, but isn't the transcoding slower than X?

Last edited:

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I thought about this as well, but if the student Production Suite is $400 (journey ed) I might as well have a way to continue my learnin when the year expires. I did not realize student CC locked you in for a year!

Students should be cheaper than $30 a month IMO, after all you are supposed to spend some time studying.

I disagree, it's in essence the commercial product you're getting for $30 per month with more than one application. From experience many students I've lectured buy it and pick up some freelance on the side where they use their software for not only education but for work.

Most students study from year to year, it's a cost for professional development and it's much cheaper than learning Vizrt (trust me).

Edit: I want FCPX, but i've already dropped $950 on the third suite, you know, invest in a system you can grow with (facepalm). I feel it's about time for X to get a major update. If I bought X right before they make you pay for another upgrade, I'd travel to Cuppertino just to blow my brains out.

I'm all for learning Premiere, but isn't the transcoding slower than X?

Again, its a capex cost. The difference being you by FCPX you can use it as long as you want to because it's not subscription based. FCPX and Motion are cheap compared to the adobe CS, c4d or autodesk ECS equivalents.

Seriously Motion 5 is $50 and for a newbie into motion graphics it's cheap and help you get the base fundamentals and allow you apply this to a higher end product like AE. While FCPX at $300 I think is priced perfectly for what it is.

For instance I design broadcast news graphics specifically geospatial and weather, there are software packages out there that are licensed at a superuser level at USD$8K per month.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
I disagree, it's in essence the commercial product you're getting for $30 per month with more than one application. From experience many students I've lectured buy it and pick up some freelance on the side where they use their software for not only education but for work.

Most students study from year to year, it's a cost for professional development and it's much cheaper than learning Vizrt (trust me).

Again, its a capex cost. The difference being you by FCPX you can use it as long as you want to because it's not subscription based. FCPX and Motion are cheap compared to the adobe CS, c4d or autodesk ECS equivalents.

Seriously Motion 5 is $50 and for a newbie into motion graphics it's cheap and help you get the base fundamentals and allow you apply this to a higher end product like AE. While FCPX at $300 I think is priced perfectly for what it is.

For instance I design broadcast news graphics specifically geospatial and weather, there are software packages out there that are licensed at a superuser level at USD$8K per month.

I didn't think students were allowed to make money off of anything covered by a student discount.

FCPX + Motion + Compressor = $400
Adobe student Production Suite = $400
1 Year all adobe = $360.

If you can, it might be worth it...but I can't imagine having the free time to dive into Flash and the others the way I'd like to. I know I could apply much of the techniques I learn from Motion to AE, but nothing beats being able to directly transfer old projects.

Again, FCPX has been out for well over a year. I'd be really surprised if they don't drop a $$$ update soon. Whereas Adobe still has 8 months or so until the next predicted update.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Edit: Nevermind. My original comment deleted. I didn't really read your initial post well enough.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
That depends on the specific package. I haven't read the apple student licenses, but Adobe specifically allows students to make money.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/education-faq.html#main_Can_I_use_STE_commercially

From my understanding Apple only does student/teacher packages on iWork and trials (30-Day) on FXCP.

Oh, hot damn! Good sleuthing, that's why you never take anyone's word for it. Others have been so adamant that you couldn't.

Again, two or three small business projects and it has paid for itself. That's what makes the Adobe licensing for students and teachers so darn good.

dhussey111

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
there is no package other then adobe you have to buy the full cs6 OR pay monthly as a student..

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Don't know what I am going to do next year but so lucky that I get CS6 for free at university.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
And this is why I never bitch about people pirating software....all of this monthly payment crap sounds like a nightmare....lol my high school let me access the latest of every piece of Adobe software out there, unfortunately I'm not in high school anymore but it was pretty cool. Currently trial-ing After Effects and while its nice the render times are INSANE...same with Premiere Pro! I don't understand why I need a CUDA GPU Open CL bla bla bla to render faster....with FCP X, and Motion 5 it slows my computer just as much but actually renders more than like one frame per 5 minutes, I'm not even joking, 30 seconds of HD took 7.5 hours to render out after doing some MINOR things in AE. Not only do most students not have the money to buy a top of the line Mac Pro with 12 cores but we don't have enough to buy software that slows down. I really like Adobe After Effects but I don't think I will be purchasing it anytime soon unless I inherit someones 6 core+ Mac Pro....its just way too much. I'm going to play around more with Motion 5.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
And this is why I never bitch about people pirating software....all of this monthly payment crap sounds like a nightmare....lol my high school let me access the latest of every piece of Adobe software out there, unfortunately I'm not in high school anymore but it was pretty cool. Currently trial-ing After Effects and while its nice the render times are INSANE...same with Premiere Pro! I don't understand why I need a CUDA GPU Open CL bla bla bla to render faster....with FCP X, and Motion 5 it slows my computer just as much but actually renders more than like one frame per 5 minutes, I'm not even joking, 30 seconds of HD took 7.5 hours to render out after doing some MINOR things in AE. Not only do most students not have the money to buy a top of the line Mac Pro with 12 cores but we don't have enough to buy software that slows down. I really like Adobe After Effects but I don't think I will be purchasing it anytime soon unless I inherit someones 6 core+ Mac Pro....its just way too much. I'm going to play around more with Motion 5.

Again pro software... Pro =Professional not Pro = Student.

A cost of entry for a suite with professional level feature. These packages were never designed for students in mind, rather educational versions came later.

This is part of the reason I'd recommend learning Motion5 before jumping into the realm of AE, it just seems to be far more responsive on lower end hardware and the price is far more attractive for students.

Also you can do some really impressive things with Motion 5 that can be easily translated into AE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.