Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sinx2oic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Hi all

So loving my nMP 8 Core. With 64gig and my new 28TB thunderbolt 2 Raid AE is rocking but it still only see's 1535mb of my 6gig D700. I have also got the new 2014 CC After Effects but still the same. This is a bit annoying. Anyone no a workaround?

cheers

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Cool, bit annoying, as they have just updated AE. Can't be that much of a priority. :rolleyes:

Horrible memory management and the inscrutability of optimal settings for multimachine/multiprocessing are supposedly on their radar, as hopefully every pro with a voice has been yelling at them at the pathetic state of their outdated code (where you can't play back an SD movie or a music file in real time... in 2014.)

http://www.thepromacblog.com/a-direct-line-to-the-after-effects-programming-team/

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Since when can't your play audio back in real time?

Import an audio file into After Effects. You'll have to RAM preview it before you can play it. No ability to scrub easily and hear audio (at least for me on a 5,1 the option-scrubbing is generally laggy and less-than-helpful.) You can't easily jump around in time to check on things. It's complete nonsense and shows how ancient After Effects' codebase is these days. Meanwhile in Motion 5 you can playback 1080p greenscreen keys in realtime.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Import an audio file into After Effects. You'll have to RAM preview it before you can play it. No ability to scrub easily and hear audio (at least for me on a 5,1 the option-scrubbing is generally laggy and less-than-helpful.) You can't easily jump around in time to check on things. It's complete nonsense and shows how ancient After Effects' codebase is these days. Meanwhile in Motion 5 you can playback 1080p greenscreen keys in realtime.

I agree that audio in AE sucks (not to mention other things) but you don't have to RAM preview. Hit the period key on the number pad and audio will play back instantly wherever you are on the timeline. I haven't experienced scrubbing to be laggy either, though you do want to make sure your video is loaded into RAM or turned off for it to be smooth.

Sinx2oic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
I agree that audio in AE sucks (not to mention other things) but you don't have to RAM preview. Hit the period key on the number pad and audio will play back instantly wherever you are on the timeline. I haven't experienced scrubbing to be laggy either, though you do want to make sure your video is loaded into RAM or turned off for it to be smooth.

I Just hold cmd to scrub. Works fine for me. I guess more people are using AE to edit and expect it to handle like editing software. All in all I upgraded from a 2009 mac pro with solid state hard drives and a Superclocked 680. Generally I am very impressed with my nMP. I think the thing most people do wrong in AE is set the multiple processor options wrong. I keep mine to this and it does feel very fast!

Anyway the nMP has been out for a while so I want it to use more than 1531mb Video Ram. :)

Attachments

• ae_settings.png
    ae_settings.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 22.41.45.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 22.41.45.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 95

menano

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Neverland
Does anyone know what happens to the VRAM of the D500? Will it be the same 1531mb or is it even lower?

DJenkins

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I Just hold cmd to scrub. Works fine for me. I guess more people are using AE to edit and expect it to handle like editing software. All in all I upgraded from a 2009 mac pro with solid state hard drives and a Superclocked 680. Generally I am very impressed with my nMP. I think the thing most people do wrong in AE is set the multiple processor options wrong. I keep mine to this and it does feel very fast!

Anyway the nMP has been out for a while so I want it to use more than 1531mb Video Ram. :)

I never really checked the texture memory before - my nvidia GTX770 4GB is showing the same 1535MB as well. Damn!

If you're interested I conducted a test a while ago to find the optimum thread count when rendering in AE:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18186069/

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014

My point is primarily that you shouldn't have to be loading video files into memory in order to play it back. But I totally spaced on the period key, which is my fault.

I never really checked the texture memory before - my nvidia GTX770 4GB is showing the same 1535MB as well. Damn!

If you're interested I conducted a test a while ago to find the optimum thread count when rendering in AE:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18186069/

Here I get beyond the realm of what I know about what Adobe could or should do, but you're spawning a separate copy of AE essentially for every thread you assign. It explains partially why sometimes multiprocessing slows your renders down heavily, and why real performance is maxed pretty quickly. Multiprocessing rendering has a pretty big overhead.

I've always assumed you get around that by using multi-machine settings, but I've never had enough time or complex jobs to make testing that theory worthwhile, especially given the possible confounding network conditions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.