After Effects Render time

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by FroColin, Dec 28, 2011.

1. FroColin macrumors regular

Okay weird question. I use After Effects and Motion 5 (and before that 4) and where motion will take ten or twenty minutes to render something, after effects will take hours to days. I don't understand this, I understand that the effects aren't the same but surely they aren't that different. And I use the same format (ProRes 422) in each and output them in prores (yes I am changing the output settings in After Effects. I don't get it, and I don't think it's as a result of mucking about with the settings in after effects. But maybe. Do you guys experience this too? I mostly use Motion because I don't like waiting a day for something to render in After Effects, am I doing something wrong? Does After Effects just have more intensive effects? I'm using CS4 btw, maybe that has something to do with it?

2. simsaladimbamba

Motion 5 can use all eight cores you have, AE 9 probably doesn't. Have you looked at Activity Monitor yet?

3. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

After Effects does use all cores and RAM.

Maybe you haven't set up your sequences properly. Have you installed/used any plugins like Trapcode or Sapphire ? Are you using things like cameras with depth of field, motion blur ?

What kind of sequences are you composing in After Effects, are you not comparing apples and oranges when comparing render times between AE and Motion ?