After Effects: Vertical Mask Path

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MarximusMG, Jan 15, 2012.

1. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

Another newbie question regarding After Effects:

I'm creating a kinetic typography project and am playing around with bringing text in from the sides of the screen by first creating a mask and then setting up a path along it with numerous keyframes. I've been able to do this successfully moving text horizontally, but I am having issues when I try to do the same vertically.

In the screenshot below, I am trying to bring the words "sellers sell" from the bottom of the screen up to where they are shown. But when I draw a mask and then try to create a path along it, it rotates the text. I need the text to remain upright the entire time. What am I doing incorrectly? Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

• AE.png
      AE.png
      File size:
      84.5 KB
      Views:
  2. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

The text just slides up? You could animate position and even easy ease it to a smooth stop via keyframes instead of using a mask.

3. MarximusMG thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

Thanks! I don't know if it's just because I'm sleep deprived or what, but I was sure that I had tried to animate position with no luck. Just tried it again and it's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

4. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

5. mBox macrumors 68020

3d

To add, back in the day using Masks was widely used as Text Paths.
    But now with the ability to turn 3D on for each layer, you can use the position or just grab an axis to use other types of linear moves. Add a Camera and you can even do odd angles and stay in a perspective path.