iPhone After Factory Unlock will I loose my Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Minhthien, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Hi guys! Did so many search and found all different type of answer!
    My 4S is at 5.1.1 and jailbroken! After my provider(telus) unlock my device how can i restore to unlock?

what i found is you must do a restore so the Unlocked works but itune will update your device to 6.0.1?

or without connecting into itune, go to settings>General>reset> (reset all settings or Erase all Contenet and settings) Will this keep my 5.1.1?

or maybe I can just use SAM to re-activated my iphone by put a non-telus sim to activate? Does this work?

Thanks guys!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant do an erase all on a JB device.
    Just use sam to deacitvate.
    Then it will activate again with any sim you put in and will be unlocked.

3. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

So do i do these in order:

1. Erase All Settings
    2. Jailbreak then Install SAM?

I remember when I erase all settings I still have to activated with apple first then it should be automatic unlock right?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You said your 4S is JB on 5.1.1
    Read what I said above. YOU CANNOT do an erase all on a JB iphone.
    So 1. is out of the question.
    And 2 you are already JB right now right? You want to Jailbreak again?
    I dont get it or you are really confused.
    Just open up cydia and install SAM if you're JB.
    Then on your phone after you install sam go into settings/sam/De-Activate iPhone.
    That's it.
    Its not that hard.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You cannot do an Erase all settings on a jailbroken phone.

Applejuiced already told you this and explained how to proceed.

6. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I misread your first post :eek::eek:! Cheers for that:)!

7. iPh0neTy macrumors member

You don't have to restore or reset your iPhone 4S. After they say it's factory unlocked just pop in your new sim while connected to wifi, wait for the activation required menu to pop up, the menu will ask reactivate and wa-la you'll be factory unlocked.

Apple would like to give any reason to make you update, that's why they tell you you must restore. But you don't have to.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

correct as always :ThumbsUp:

wrong

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Apple doesn't give a hoot if you update your firmware or not :rolleyes:

10. iPh0neTy macrumors member

Yes they do. Think about how much money they lose from people jailbreaking, when you can get apps and features that you would normally have to pay for. Also when the software is cracked it makes it vulnerable to threats. They want everyone to stay up to date.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont know about losing money from people JB. Not everyone does it to steal apps and those who do would never purchase them in the first place so its not the same as money is lost. Also Apple many times in the past have "borrowed" ideas and many other things from the JB scene.
    About security holes and threats, I agree that they do want to patch and make the OS more secure with every update.
    But they dont rely on a restore to unlock a phone any more. with ios 6.0 and higher you dont even need a restore to apply the unlock. Wifi connection or any data connection or an itunes sync is all that's needed.
    You just pop in another carriers sim and if the phone is unlocked it will take you back to the welcome screen and will activate it.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

A jailbroken phone is no more vulnerable than a phone on stock firmware.
    As stated, many of us who jailbreak do not do so to steal apps.
    Jailbreaking allows me features that Apple is years away from adopting.

Besides, in a couple of instances in the past, the jailbreak community has blocked .pdf vulnerabilities on jailbroken iDevices long before Apple released an update to fix the issue.

If Apple cared that much about making you have the newest firmware, then they would not allow any iDevice to leave the AppleStore without updating the firmware.

The tech people in the Apple store never force an update on you, it were Apple's desire to "make" sure you updated to newest firmware, then they would push firmware updates in the store.

Just saying "they want everyone to stay up to date" is your perception, not reality.

13. iPh0neTy, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

iPh0neTy macrumors member

New threats are made available everyday. This is why EVERY software development company, be it Apple, Microsoft or whoever, is constantly fighting to patch vulnerabilities in their software with software updates. Apple's iOS is one huge network that is interlinked between all our devices and their internal system. If it's vulnerable it's susceptible to malicious software that can threaten all of us and the entire company.

It IS policy that every device that is replaced or sold is up to date before you leave with it. They can't "force" you to update a device that you own so you won't be tackled at the door and have your phone confiscated if your device is out of date but I guarantee you can't walk in and buy or replace an old device with a new one on an iOS version that's more than one update behind and even then they may plug it in and update it for you before you leave. Think of all the update warnings you encounter during the course of owning your Apple devices and software, so much that South Park even made an episode that spoofed the constant updates and agreements you have to sign each time. They take all these masures because they obviously don't care if you are up to date huh?

Once it's jailbroken, the software is hacked and vulnerable and yes it is more vulnerable jailbroken. Anyone can log onto cydia as a hacker/developer and write their own software that can easily be downloaded by other users. Maybe you don't steal Apps but you account for 1 out of several million cydia users and if people didn't steal apps they wouldn't be there in the first place.

Hackers have temporarily taken down huge organizations from congress to fortune 500 companies and big banks. Apple is a target company for malicious software because of their size, worth and the amount of personal information that is stored in their system. This is not just "my perception" it's a CRUCIAL fact of software development that protects you and everyone else in this world from loss of money, assets and data. The fact that you would even argue this with me shows that you don't know much about software and you need to do a little research. Trust me Apple wants EVERYONE to be up to date.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against Jailbreaking. I think it's great that people are smart enough to figure out how to hack software and liberate their devices to be used as they wish. I don't agree with malicious software and I understand the risk of jailbreaking but don't argue with me that Apple doesn't care if you are up to date because it's an uninformed and ignorant statement.

Here is a good article on the importance of updating software if you don't want to take my word for it. Or just google "importance of updating software"

http://stopsign.com/blog/the-importance-of-updating-your-software/

14. iPh0neTy, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

iPh0neTy macrumors member

I make a living buying, selling, unlocking, jailbreaking and repairing devices as well as my YouTube channel doing iPhone tutorials that now gets over 350k hits a month. I already did a tutorial about just this topic about a month ago. I rent a server where I perform my own factory unlocks. I've done hundreds including ones that I do on my own to increase the value of phones I am intending to sell, trust me I know what I'm talking about. You don't need to go through the hassle of installing SAM. Yes that will also work but why would you bother if all you have to do is pop you sim in and plug into iTunes. When it connects it will reactivate the new sim.

15. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

no it does not, that is why they make you restore when not jailbroken, also a lot of people don't use new sim's when unlocking, they have it unlocked for convenience or resale value.

judge from your statement on iOS firmware version and apple policy i doubt you have ever seen an apple store from the inside. Apple doesn't open up sealed boxes just to update an iOS version and they will certainly not "make" you restore on the spot.

sorry but no i don't trust you on that one...

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

The person is using the same SIM card, just wants the unlock to be activated, but continue using the same SIM he/she was using officially.;)

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is correct if you're on ios 6.0 and higher.
    The OP is on 5.1.1 and unless you deactivate and activate the phone again with itunes it will not recognize or accept any other sims so the unlock wont go through. Its not as simple on the older 5.0 ios as it is on 6.0 and higher. With 6.0 all you need to do is be connected to wifi and pop in the new sim like you said and it will bring you to the welcome initial screen.
    Figured if you made a living with iphones you'd know a little more:D

18. iPh0neTy macrumors member

I never said they open the box and update it. I said you will never find one older than one iOS version out of date (i.e if the newest version is 6.0.1 you probably wont get one on an older version than iOS 6.0). As new version come out they immediately update all phones coming of the production line to be current and sell the oldest ones first so they tend to stay very current. I was talking about replacing a phone when I said they will update it before you leave, which they will.

----------

I did this with a phone on 4.3.3 just two days ago, the owner didn't want to lose his jailbreak. The iOS doesn't matter. Next phone I unlock on an older iOS version I'll shoot a video and post it in this forum.

When you put a foreign sim in any iPhone on any iOS version and connect it to iTunes, iTunes will automatically send tickets to activate it and will either activate it if it's factory unlocked or give you a message saying it's not valid. The iOS version on your device does not change how iTunes behaves when it connects.

----------

Although the SIMlock status would show as unlocked in Apple's system it still would not work until he puts in a foreign sim and activates it.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'll have to check it out myself too.
    Might be possible.

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Which is why he/she would use the SAM method to get it ready on the phone before traveling and finding a foreign sim card ;)

21. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Like i said, no they don't, the replacements come in sealed black boxes which are opened on the spot, they certainly don't make you restore on the spot, had my own IP4 replaced that why and have seen dozens others been replaced the same way in a dozen different apple stores all across the world.

22. dhlizard, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This is absolutely untrue.
    I have had several jailbroken, yes jailbroken phones, worked on for hardware issues (like debris in the bottom connection port for example - Apple techs have some great tools and blowers for cleaning these ports) by the Apple store dudes and they could care less if the phone firmware is current or not.
    And they do not care about jailbroken phones to the extent everyone claims.

Worst case scenario is if you are not knowledgeable enough to "awaken" your jailbroken phone that is having issues, of course they will just do a clean restore to current firmware. But that is the fault of the owner(s) who "jammed" up their phone without adequate knowledge to fix the issue themselves.

And I am also in belief as are some others here, that if you did as much as you claim with iPhones you would not be unaware of certain basic facts/procedures.

It has been my experience that those who attempt to validate their arguments/points of view by laying claim claim to some extraordinary experience with iPhones but lack certain simple understandings and knowledge of basic procedures, generally overstate their actual technical resume.

One can read a couple dozen threads here and see it repeatedly, especially those which start with "I know all about" or "I have done" this or that.

Good luck, I will depart from this thread !

23. travis.hansen, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

travis.hansen macrumors regular

All of your arguments are pointless. All iph0nety was trying to do is give a helpful suggestion to help out and you all started ripping into him for reasons unrelated to the objective of the thread.

I worked as an Apple Genius for about three years. I quit this summer and iPh0neTy is absolutely right that we were expected to update replacement devices that were out of date. Most of the time devices came from AppleCare already up to date but sometimes if a new iOS version was released we had ones in inventory that were on an older iOS. Our managers asked us to update them before customers left as long as time allowed and if time didn't allow we had to ask them to take it home and update it themselves.

If you took a jailbroken phone into apple to get it warrantied the Genius was supposed to void your warranty so rather than considering your self the beholder of all knowledge that is Apple, consider yourself lucky. If he didn't void it then he wasn't doing his job. And if he didn't care to do his job like he was supposed to then why would he bother updating your replacement devices like he was supposed to. This is your own experience and ones own experience doesn't constitute the entire policy of the company.

I'm sorry but iPh0neTy is absolutely right here so maybe think before you rip into someone's intelligence when it is you that is incorrect and when you use a bunch a big fancy words to argue something that you obviously know nothing about, aside from person experiences, it just makes you look pretentious and ignorant.

24. travis.hansen macrumors regular

I was an Apple Genius for almost three years. We would pull the sealed black boxes from inventory open it with the customer and if we knew it was out of date we were expected to plug it into iTunes on a nearby Mac and update as long as time allowed. Most the time they came up to date but as soon as a new iOS version was released often times we had several in inventory that were still on the older iOS which we were asked to update. It only took a week or less to go through the old inventory so most of the time updating them was not necessary but it was policy to update them if they weren't. There were a few times when time didn't allow for an update but in those cases we asked the customer to plug it in at home and update. If they never updated one of your replacement devices then they were either already up to date or time didn't allow and they should have told you to make sure to plug it in when you got home to update.