After firmware update, can't start-up/reinstall

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blvdeast, Jun 30, 2011.

1. blvdeast macrumors regular

I was running the latest update that included a os x combined update and a firmware update. All was going well, and then the laptop restarted with the firmware update progress screen. The computer restarted abruptly, and never started up correctly since.

Here's where I am now:

The boot process is very slow and takes much longer then usual. Eventually my desktop background loads, along with the desktop icons. The menubar on top loads too. The dock does not load, and I can't open anything through the desktop icons. I can use quick-preview (pressing spacebar), but can't open any application. None of the dropdown lists work on the menu bar. Occassionaly, the screen switched to black and blue and back to the usual desktop.

Nothing works, opens, or can be accessed. Even the power button works, I need to shutdown with shift-control-option-power.

I tried to reinstall osx, or at least access disk utilities to make some repairs.

If I press option during the boot with the CD in, nothing happens, and I wind up the same position as described above.

If I press C instead, I get a kernal panic during the boot process.

I tried the CD on a different mac, and it worked fine.

I'm stuck!!! Can't reinstall, can't fix, can't access!!!

Any ideas or experiences with fixing this?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. blvdeast thread starter macrumors regular

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

A lot of the OS updates require a double restart to finish installation. I suspect that is what happened in the middle of updating the firmware. That as you can see is not good. Can you tell us more about the Mac and the OS?

5. blvdeast thread starter macrumors regular

Its a Macbook Pro, bought it last summer, so its pretty current. I have Snow Leopard on it, and never had any issues or problems. Ran super smooth with no errors.

6. blvdeast thread starter macrumors regular

That looks promising!!

I don't have any blanks right now, but I'll try that out this weekend.

Thanks

7. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

I just looked at Apples download page and didn't see a restoration cd for a newer MacBook Pro. Might mean a trip to an Apple Store or authorized service center.