iPad After four generations, I think I finally want an iPad...?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by puma1552, Nov 3, 2012.

1. puma1552, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012

puma1552 macrumors 601

Maybe it's because I haven't bought any new real Apple gear in three years (meaning big stuff except my 4S, just bought Earpods tonight and have bought a couple small things like that recently), and maybe it's just an itch for something new, but for the last three years I've seen no point to the iPad when I have a computer and an iPhone.

But in the last few weeks, I've really been looking at iPads for couch internet surfing and truthfully, nothing more.

When I went to get my EarPods just now I was playing with the iPad and man is it nice, the retina screen is awesome. Just still not sure I can justify a 32 gig wifi model, there really is no "need" for it...certainly a "want." I doubt it would ever leave the house.

Where does your iPad fit into your life? Do you have a genuine use/need for it or do you just use it because you have it and figure you may as well get your money's worth since you paid for it?

EDIT: I was surprised to see though that there still is no camera flash, really?

2. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I use mine for email, work presentations, games, web browsing, reading. It's a great tool and I think it's worth every penny. iPad 3rd gen 16gb in case you were wondering.

3. LoosedGoose macrumors newbie

I am also getting my first iPad with the 4th gen. I have a mixed apple/windows/android house, with my last big apple purchase being a 2008 MBP.

For me, the iPad will replace a Kindle Fire (which replaced two earlier Kindles) for reading/surfing. I want the added real estate, apple ecosystem, and general snappiness. I am willing to accept the added weight and size, and even purchased a lapdesk device to make reading with it a bit more convenient. I am getting old and want bigger text, dammit, and for those kids to get off my lawn :)

Will also use it for music, replacing my iPod classic, as well as podcasts (No Agenda, ftw!), and some gaming. Not sure why I stubbornly avoided the iPad until now, but I'm looking forward to my Tuesday arrival.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Good. But really? Do you truly think you'll be that guy who takes lots of photos using his iPad?

5. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

no i doubt ill take a single pic, just seemed odd to still omit the flash:confused:

6. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

An iPad, whilst arguably superfluous, has become my most used gadget - by a long way too.

I use my MBP and iPhone for work related purposes mainly, but at home, when I have a choice, its always the iPad. I surf the net, check my emails, read scientific papers, play games and watch movies. I literally use it every single day.

While I could do all of the above activities with my MBP or iPhone, for me the 9.7" iPad has the perfect balance of weight, size and usability.

7. Che Castro macrumors 603

Your going to be using it at home and on the couch and you want flash for the camera ?

The only reason I would want a flash on the back is to use it as a flashlight , I use my iPhones flash a lot for that

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No need for a flash, I just use the iPad screen for a flashlight. Works very well, especially if you open Safari to a website with mostly white background. :D

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Genuine need. It's the better half's device and keeps her off my MBP.

You can poll all you want but you need to make the call for yourself. Better yet, buy and take it for a spin. You can return it if it doesn't seem worthwhile.

10. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

It's taken over mostly everything I do, used to play games mostly on my iphone, now I play games mostly on my ipad and very little on my phone.

I type -small- school assignments on it ( essays still get done on my iMac )

I use it for MOST of my web browsing, most sites have adapted and are now flash free or offer some sort of flash free version.

I watch movies and tv shows on it, the ipad is really an amazing device it's weird just HOW much better most things on it are compared to a computer or other device, but they just are.

Ipad 3 16GB, but next version I get I will be getting 32GB because 16 is just too small now.

11. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

A couple questions.

I'm actually considering replacing my MBP with a mini. My Arrandale MBP is two years old, but it starting to give me early warning signs of a graphics card failure, so I'd like to unload it. It's worth about $700 according to Gazelle, which would basically be an even trade for a 64 gig wifi iPad.

But, I need to be able to use MS Office and create Adobe PDFs once in a while, and be able to print. My current printer is not wireless.

Taking a quick look in the App store, I'm seeing some MS Office bundle, and templates, but no actual MS Word or MS Excel applications. Ditto for Adobe to create PDFs from word documents.

Is it possible to replace a computer with an iPad if you need to be able to use Word, Excel, create PDFs, and print? If I can do those things with an iPad, I can get rid of the Macbook Pro.

Thanks.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

As far as printing goes if you do not have wireless, you can use a lightning to USB connector. As far as windows documents go you could use pages, numbers, keynote. They can open office documents; however, some formatting can get jacked up. If you truly need office and want to replace a pc with a tablet, windows surface may be your best bet as it has full versions of office.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, you can't print through the lightning port. You need a AirPrint compatible printer,. Pages does let you export to PDF. Surface RT does have Office, but if you need any advanced functions you should double check that the version of Office on the Surface supports them.

14. Ipadlover29, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I'm totally dependent on my iPad. I found this out recently when I had to do without for 6 days. When I first got mine almost 2 years ago it was a want not a need. Although I have a 17inch laptop and 4.7 android phone. I prefer using my iPad. I use my iPad about 90% of the time. Only time I use my laptop is for gaming, downloading, converting files and anything that requires alot of typing. When I home I only use my phone for calls, texts and music.

In my case my laptop is way too large and doesn't offer enough battery life for use on the couch. Although my phones screen is quite large its enough for me for extended home use. My iPad fits my needs perfectly for surfing, email, YouTube, social networking,etc.

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I love my iPad, but there is no way I'd replace a MBP to do that kind of work on an iPad. An iPad is great for web surfing, music, video, magazines, books, recipe reference, sharing things with other people - basically the device that's always available and ready to go. A workhorse it is not.