After getting the watch, never use my phone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bbeagle, Apr 3, 2015.

1. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I park my car in the driveway - drive to work, my office is right next to the parking lot.....

What if I just left my phone in my car all the time? Hook it to a charger, so when I drive my car, it charges. I'd probably hardly ever need to use my phone again. I'd just have to remember to throw the phone in my bike bag when I go cycling, then take it out when done.

The phone-less life is getting closer! :)

2. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

This won't work unless your car is only 30 feet away from your office (bluetooth range) or you can get sufficient WiFi signal from the parking lot (for a direct WiFi connection to the watch).

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, you don't need a direct connection between the phone and Watch. The Watch and phone just need to be on the same wireless router.

4. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

Im looking forward to this for my wife... she has a real problem.. constantly staring at her phone. now when the watch is out, she can just leave her phone on the charger but still have the watch so she doesnt miss important messages

5. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

But why? To me it just doesn't make sense! There is so much you can do on the large screen that you can not do on the wrist! I don't think smart watch is meant to replace your smart phone. I am going to buy the apple watch on the first day but I wouldn't even dream of not having the iPhone with me all time (except maybe when am running)

6. bbeagle thread starter macrumors 68040

bbeagle

But I'm in my office staring at a computer all day. I can do all my phone things on a LARGER screen on my computer at the office.

And at home, I'm using my tablet. I never get on my phone.

The main reason I use my phone is for phone calls, texts, tweets. I can do all that on a watch.

7. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

No, it's a direct connection. The watch cannot connect to WiFi networks themselves; it connects directly to the phone.

8. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

This might work for you, but the vast majority of people will never use a smartwatch over a smartphone for a vast array of functions. Like watching any kind of video as one of thousands of reasons.

The smartwatch will never replace the smartphone, as its inherently poor at numerous things. Just as the smartphone will never replace the future smartwatch functions like biometrics because inherently it only works for a wearable.

9. splogue macrumors regular

splogue

Seriously? Then why does anyone buy a laptop? Everything you can do on a laptop, you can do on a desktop with a larger screen, and (very likely) a faster processor, more memory, and more storage space.

And why buy a tablet? Same argument. Laptop is better. Desktop even better than that.

And you have a phone? Why? You could use your tablet, laptop, or desktop instead.

Different things, different uses, different locations. That's why.

They are going to sell millions of these.

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't get why people don't like there phones... I want to use my phone in ADDITION to an :apple: watch.

11. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I think you are barking at a wrong tree because you just proved my point! What I said is that one is not meant to replace the other. Apple Watch is not meant to replace the iPhone. Just like you would not get rid of desktop because you have tablet or a laptop. Desktop will always be better for things that tablet simply can not do. Tablet will be much better for things that iPhone is not so good at. And also iPhone will be there for things that aren't possible on the Apple Watch. So yeah, seriously..... one can not replace the other.

Now OP says that he won't have his phone during his office work where he will be all time on a desktop PC, which in a way make sense to have the Apple Watch do the quick tasks.

12. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

I mean, you might be able to do that, but you'll kill the battery on your watch pretty fast. It isn't designed to replace your phone.

13. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I don't see it as a replacement, but more of a complimentary device. It will be convenient to use for many tasks but I will still use my phone for most calls as I like my privacy and don't want to be talking into my wrist. Text messages will be easier on the phone too since you have a full keyboard/siri isn't perfect. Both have their situational uses, just wouldn't want to use them 100% of the time.

I do enjoy smart watches though so I'm excited to see functions it can excel it. I think it'll put my pebble to shame :)

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

i think you should have another read of what the watch can and cannot do. You are going to put yourself into a situation were your are going from an excellent experience on your iPhone too a limited experience on your watch. You must also not use apps on your phone, cause you are going to miss those.

----------

Desktop down to tablet, you give up power and functionality . It's about compromise.

How does a laptop , notebook etc perform the core functionality of an iphone, which is being a phone ???

15. bbeagle thread starter macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Why would I kill the battery pretty fast? My iPhone battery lasts about 3 days right now, with how little I use it. I know others who have to charge their phone in the middle of the day, because they're always on it.

----------

I never watch videos on my phone... Why would I? The screen is so small. I watch videos on my TV or computer. I don't play games on my phone either. I use my console connected to a TV. So many of the uses others have for phones, I don't need, A watch to stay connected to alerts, my calendar, email, texts is all I need.

16. Mr.C macrumors 601

If you rely on your watch all the time and not use your phone at all I'm pretty sure the watch battery won't last anywhere near the maximum 18 hours stated by Apple.

As for leaving your phone in your car on charge personally I would be reluctant to do so unless it is very well concealed. You risk someone breaking into your car and stealing your phone not to mention other items as well as the hassle of the damage caused to your car. Not to mention if it's a hot summers day what the heat might do to your phone if it's in the car all day long. If you're going to leave to just charge why not just do it inside as work anyway. That would be a lot safer.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I predict that you watch battery will be dead by noon. Get an additional charger and enjoy but I am not leaving my phone behind.

18. bbeagle thread starter macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Why? Makes no sense that the battery would die quicker with the phone 200 feet away compared to in my pocket.

The watch will last all day if used for text messages, alerts, time.

19. Newtons Apple, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Time will tell, but the watch is not intended to replace your phone.

You will see.

20. Mr.C macrumors 601

I think you're being way too optimistic and certainly not realistic. If you're going to use your watch for everything and not use your phone at all I suspect it won't last anywhere near all day.

21. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Doubt the Apple Watch bluetooth will have such range, especially through thick walls.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

This reminds me of those threads where people are trying so hard to replace a laptop with an iPad exclusively. I guess you CAN make if work... But why? Watch, phone, tablet, laptop... All are good at different functions. I'm not sure what the victory is in ditching one device that's good at certain things to replace it with a device that's less good at those things. It seems to me like being excited you can ditch your hammer since it's theoretically possible to pound nails with a wrench.

23. bbeagle thread starter macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Wifi has a 300 foot range

----------

My watch will be used for maybe 10 alerts an hour. it will definitely last the day. that's like 2 minutes usage per hour for half the day, then when I work out, an hour or two of music. Well under 5 hours of usage that makes the battery run out in 18 hours.

I don't web surf, watch videos, play games, use Facebook, listen to music on my phone at all. Don't know why you think even my phone usage on the watch would run the battery out.

24. iVegas macrumors 6502

iVegas

I wouldn't recommend leaving the phone in your car, especially with the warmer months approaching. The heat just isn't good for the battery at all.