After hard drive swap, available space shows different

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kraven, Dec 17, 2008.

1. kraven macrumors newbie

I just recently swapped my macbook pro harddrive from 160gb to 500gb. I used superduper to clone the original drive into the 500gb. And then I swapped the drives. It works fine BUT...

...if I check the space available in Finder, it shows the correct available space when I highlight my HD in under Devices, and Applications under Places, BUT it shows different (less) when I highlight Home, Desktop, and etc.

Does anyone know why and if I did something wrong? Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't completely follow you.

Are you saying that the available capacity is lower when you highlight the folders individually than when you select the whole drive, or that the total amount of space occupied is less? The space occupied should be less, because Finder hides some system files.

But if you're saying that the available capacity changes, that's odd.... post screenshots.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

COMPLETELY odd!!!

can you check your partitions in Disk Utility?? make sure that there is only 1 big partition...

4. kraven thread starter macrumors newbie

Here are the images below. Under Applications and Macbook.HD. the space is 259gb. But The rest is 170gb.

And I went into Disk Utility, it's just one partition.

Attached Files:

5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Just wondering, does FileVault make a different partition or something as to hide the information? If so, your home folder (and all the contents in that folder, like Pictures and Documents) will show the amount of space left in that special, password-protected partition.

6. kraven thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have filevault enabled. Maybe that is the problem. Do you think I should disable it and then enable it again?

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes, that definitely looks like the problem.