Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thorsonb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
In a House
Ok
For some reason I plugged my friends cheap headphone into my Macbook… to listen to some music on a train….

And now after I pulled out the headphones, a red light is lighting up n the headphone plug…

With that light on, I cannot play any sound on my macbook (without the headphones)

Is their a keystroke combination I need to use or something I tried turning the volume ot the Mac, restart, shutdown and start up again… pulled out the battery and all!

revbarabbas

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2009
Ok
For some reason I plugged my friends cheap headphone into my Macbook… to listen to some music on a train….

And now after I pulled out the headphones, a red light is lighting up n the headphone plug…

With that light on, I cannot play any sound on my macbook (without the headphones)

Is their a keystroke combination I need to use or something I tried turning the volume ot the Mac, restart, shutdown and start up again… pulled out the battery and all!

Go into System Prefs...under sound check the output setting...does it say headphones or external speakers instead of internal speakers?

The only thing I can think of is the switch that tells the computer that there is headphones or external speakers are present is stuck...try plugging headphones in and out of the port until the red light goes away...it might take a few times but if that doesn't work you can try getting it unstuck with a piece of stiff wire...the switch is a bout 1 cm down and if you "tickle" it with the wire it should shut off.

thorsonb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
In a House
Go into System Prefs...under sound check the output setting...does it say headphones or external speakers instead of internal speakers?

The only thing I can think of is the switch that tells the computer that there is headphones or external speakers are present is stuck...try plugging headphones in and out of the port until the red light goes away...it might take a few times but if that doesn't work you can try getting it unstuck with a piece of stiff wire...the switch is a bout 1 cm down and if you "tickle" it with the wire it should shut off.

yes, it does say "headphones" , and i guess i do have to tickle it :S.. but why did it do that??

is tht Apple's way of saying "Next time Buy headphones from Apple", my friend said the same thing happened to him, and he sent it into AppleCare people to fix

revbarabbas

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2009
yes, it does say "headphones" , and i guess i do have to tickle it :S.. but why did it do that??

is tht Apple's way of saying "Next time Buy headphones from Apple", my friend said the same thing happened to him, and he sent it into AppleCare people to fix

Some headphone plugs are slightly different dimensions and that would lead it to getting stuck...Apple's are on the thicker side so I'm guessing that they would rub the switch on the way out better than a thinner headphone plug...dunno but I use $10 headphones all the time in my macbook and never had a problem.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
The red light in the headphone jack is actually the Digital Optical Out, turned on. Normally headphones or external speakers are considered one in the same, the Mac wouldn't have any idea if it's one or the other connected as they're treated the same way.

thorsonb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
In a House
i still got this problem! lol i didnt really look much into it, i just whipped out another laptop with audio :(

But now i want to use my Macbook :(

What am i to do!

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
i still got this problem! lol i didnt really look much into it, i just whipped out another laptop with audio :(

But now i want to use my Macbook :(

What am i to do!

Two things:

1. If you look in the headphone port is a red light shining?
2. Under System Preferences/Sound/Output is Digital Out | Built-In Output shown as selected?

If the answers are yes, what you are experiencing is that the micro switch for the optical audio out is accidentally getting turned on and sticking in the on position.

To get the light to go off you can also try inserting and removing a headphone/speaker plug. Even something like a toothpick or a bamboo skewer inserted and moved around will sometimes work. Whatever you use be careful to not break it off in the headphone jack. Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.