After I replaced the battery, problem continues. Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TOwens8one, Apr 25, 2009.

1. TOwens8one macrumors newbie

This was my original post
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=688890&highlight=iphone+wont+charge

After buying a new battery online and replacing it myself, I was able to get the phone up and running and put it back to factory settings before something else happened. After fully charging the night before and turning it off right away I wake up to about 20%, this phone is about 2 weeks old (replacement from apple) but since it was jailbroken I couldn't take it to the genius bar. So now I think the problem is internal since its acting the same way even after a new battery. Would I be able to take it to the genius bar even though I opened it? I didn't see any seals broken and I've checked online but nothing.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm really curious as to why you didn't just restore it and take it in... It takes like five minutes and leaves no trace.

As for your situation now, if there's no visible signs that you've opened it up I don't see any reason you shouldn't take it in.

3. TOwens8one thread starter macrumors newbie

Before, I tried to restore it 20+ times trust me. I did everything I could think of but I kept getting errors on itunes. Also, should I let it drain all the way so that they can see it won't charge (almost certain this will happen) or should I take it in charged and explain, but they won't be able to see the battery be unresponsive without staying there for hours.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Does "everything" include a DFU restore?

They usually bypass any errors you get on iTunes.

5. TOwens8one thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, putting it into dfu mode was the only way the phone was recognized by itunes. A minute into the restore, I received itunes error 23. I tried restoring to 2.2, 2.2.1, and using the custom firmware from pwnage but nothing.

6. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Why didn't you just restore it and take it in? Now you're in a pickle.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

:confused:

Are you serious? You couldn't read five posts before you replied?

8. TOwens8one thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I worded it poorly but the phone now works after I put in the new battery. The problem is that its following the same path as it did with the original battery. The power drains even though I turn off the phone, luckily it didn't drain fully as it did initially before the new battery. I'm scheduling an appointment at the genius bar today, so hopefully I can get a new one yet again. Only problem is I don't have an iphone account but I do have an att account.
    This was a problem when I tried to receive a replacement phone (the one I got now) when going to the genius bar, they denied me. I then called Apple Care when I got home and after a while the guy seemed real helpful and put my request in so I was able to do it through the phone.

9. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

umm is your phone watered damaged ?

why wouldn't you get a replacement from apple ?

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

That's where you lost me.

11. TOwens8one thread starter macrumors newbie

By that I mean I don't have the iphone data plan. Will they know I opened the iphone or possibly open it themselves to check?

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

They won't. But I don't understand why you ordered a new battery when you could have just gotten another replacement... I do understand it was jailbroken, but this can be reversed.

13. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Highly doubtful. In my experience, the geniuses simply check the water sensors and offer a replacement if there's no evidence of water damage.

They will be plugging in and retrieving statistics from the phone though. They're not going to just take your word that your battery sucks.