Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue-ThirtyTwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
everytime I try to open it I get a popup from the system that says something like "Firefox is an application that was downloaded from the internet. Do you want to open it?" There is a check box to not have the message appear anymore, but not being very familiar with things, I didnt want to change it just yet. Also upon downloading the program I was never asked where I would like the program downloaded to.

Is this normal?

And how do I get rid of the mozilla icon on the desktop? Everytime I try to "eject" it it removes the program altogether. I just want one icon on the dock.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
First, the Application needs to be put into the Applications folder on your hard drive. Then when you launch it, you can right-click on the icon in the dock and select "keep in dock" or once it has been moved to the correct location, drag the icon to the dock. The dock contains only a shortcut of the application in question and is not a storage location.

TEG

Blue-ThirtyTwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Ok

it was downloaded to the "downloads" folder. When I open "Mac HD" on the left it shows Mozilla right under "remote disk". When I open preferences and uncheck "CD DVD and iPod" under the show these on desktop the Mozilla icon disappears off the desktop but not the dock. I get the feeling I downloaded wrong and for some reason it thinks its another drive???

So if I'm gonna move the file, do I take the whole "Mozilla" file from the downloads section to "applications"? Or, do I need to reinstall the program and make sure it goes to the correct location?

I'm just thrown off by the fact it is showing up on the desktop as some sort of storage device?

TOTAL NOOB!!!

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
What you downloaded was a .dmg file, called a Disk Image. It mounts like a disk in finder. Inside this disk image is the firefox.app. Move the firefox.app to the Applications folder, then delete the disk image.

Blue-ThirtyTwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Awesome!!!

That was it (I was wondering what the heck a .dmg file was). No more system pop-up, desktop icon gone, and most importantly a functional browser.

Thank you, thank you!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.