after installing iPhoto '09 ....??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AeroBar, Sep 6, 2009.

1. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I've just moved my iPhoto Library to an external drive and connected iPhoto 6 to it by "holding down the Option key while launching",
    In the next two weeks or so I'll be installing iLife '09.
    I assume that when I launch iPhoto '09 for the first time it will automatically create the library in the original location (i,e, in the Pictures section of the Mac's internal drive) and therefore be empty.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just "Option while launching" to connect it to the external drive?
    I assume there are major differences in an iPhoto '09 Library folder compared to an iPhoto 6 Library folder
    Will I be asked (when I first launch iPhoto '09) to import the photos from iPhoto 6 into the new iPhoto '09 library on the internal drive?

Thanks.

2. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also, how do I keep transfer projects, like photobooks and calendars, from iPhoto 6 to iPhoto '09.

Thanks.

3. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

It think it should be OK to just leave the library in its normal location and upgrade to '09. When you open iPhoto for the first time, it will ask if you want to upgrade the library to '09 format.

4. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool, thanks Dale.

so when I'm launching iPhoto '09 for the first time, do I just hold down the Option key, click on iPhoto '09, choose the library on the external drive and when iPhoto'09 connects o it it will ask me if I want to upgrade to the new format (is that correct??)