After installing security update 2008-08 emac won't restart...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by defonti, Dec 15, 2008.

1. defonti macrumors newbie

Hello, I just installed security update 2008-08 on my emac and after restart it won't restart...please can somebody help me? Thank you

2. corbywan macrumors regular

Which eMac do you have? Which OS? How far does it get and how long have you let it run? Can you hear any disk activity?

I'm curious because I have a 1.0GHz eMac (pre-USB2) and I don't want to kill it with a security update. I've got 10.4.11 on mine.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, I'm about to install this update on my MBP and will let you know how I get on.

Edit: No problems whatsoever on my Intel 10.4.11 system.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

As with all updates Apple recommends making a backup of your drive just in case something like this goes wrong. Hundreds of thousands of computers updating will have an error or few along the way.

If nothing else, try booting up to your system disk and enter Disk Utility, select your drive and attempt the repairs offered. If it does not work, then you can always do an Archive and Install.

While booted to a system disk click continue until it asks you to select a destination for installation, click the options button and select ARCHIVE AND INSTALL and PRESERVE USER DATA AND SETTINGS. This will reinstall the base OS from scratch, setting the old system aside as a Previous System (for your later review and deletion) and preserve your user settings and home folder. Then, you'll have to update the system back up through the Software Updates.