after installing windows 7, do i need more virus protection?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by steve5, Apr 8, 2010.

1. steve5 macrumors newbie

hey,

I have a macbook pro (late 08). When i install windows 7, will i need to have more virus protection? I have clamXav installed already. Will that cover mac and windows? What settings should i have to cover both systems?

tanx in advance!!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You probably should have one in each environment. One in Windows (I like MSE) and one in OSX to protect yourself from accidentally downloading Windows malware and having your Windows side affected, although that is strictly not necessary if you have something running under Windows already.

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Yes...you'll need something for the Windows side. Microsoft Security Essentials as mentioned above is decent (and free).

4. GreyMatta macrumors regular

agreed. I also run the MSE it holds its own amongst the ones you have to pay for :)

5. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

yeah you need virus protection. if your using bootcamp and using it on the internet definitely. if you using it just for office or certain apps you can just use the built in microsoft antivirus/spyware protection and be just fine.

6. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Agreed. I prefer Avira antivirus and an excellent real-time spyware / malware is a called Spyware Terminator. I am using both on my bootcamp windows 7 install and they protect well.