After Leopard... "choppy" and uncontrollable mouse/cursor!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by diehldun, Nov 9, 2007.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

I upgraded my new MBP from Tiger to Leopard right when it first came out, but only recently have I noticed/experienced a buggy problem that's beginning to frustrate me; I hope it's just because Leopard is a brand-new operating system, and not an isolated incident:

My MBP will be running smoothly, until the mouse suddenly becomes annoyingly "choppy" and unresponsive; sometimes it will move violently and uncontrollably about, and the only way to stop this is by manually rebooting the machine (holding the power button down). Afterwards, everything works fine... until about 2 days later. I've had to repeat these steps about six times already. These issues occur for both my USB mouse and the trackpad; I have also repaired permissions, and that doesn't seem to be resolving the issue. Any insight or suggestions? This is driving me on the border of insanity, especially when it starts acting up right in the middle of lecture as I'm taking midterm notes! :mad: Thanks!

2. vm7118 macrumors regular

i get the same thing, only its happened two or three times for me. that could also be because i only installed leopard about a week ago.

yesterday i switched from using steermouse with my logitech mx revolution to using controllermate, and it seems to have helped... but who knows if it will pop up again since its only been one day.

it hadnt happened to me with the trackpad but im usually using the mouse, so maybe ive just been lucky during my trackpad fun times.

3. rosh325 macrumors regular

I don't know if this is a separate issue, but it seems related. I get this problem as well, but it is only during the few instances where my MBP won't immediately wake back up from sleep. Usually I end up button mashing, and when the computer decided to wake back up, the mouse will be all of the place /choppy. Logging out does not fix this, only a restart. How odd

4. rickster2k macrumors member

I'm hoping this is one of the issues addressed in 10.5.1.

Every time I want to put my MPB to sleep I have to unplug the mouse from the USB port. If i don't when I wake up my MBP although my mouse is shown as on (glowing red optical sensor) it doesn't work. I have to either plug it into the other USB port on the right (which isn't ideal) or do a complete restart which is just a pain.

5. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

Ditto... I've had the same issue... it's only been about a handful of times, but it's a pain in the butt when it happens. I pretty much have to use the trackpad instead of my mouse, and I usually end up rebooting. What an odd problem :/

6. hanzoh macrumors member

I have the same problem, mostly after my MBP woke up from sleep. The trackpad movement is choppy as well. I use USB Overdrive for my Logitech mouse, but they updated their app for Leopard, so it's no outdated software.

I guess this is Leopard-related and hopefully fixed by 10.5.1, as only a reboot makes my cursor usable again.

7. barkins macrumors regular

barkins

I don't know if this is related, but the mouse that came with my new iMac was acting very choppy, as you described. So I just plugged in a different mouse, (Logitech) and it works perfectly now. Go figure. :rolleyes:

8. peterman macrumors newbie

yeah same exact issue... always when waking up from sleep... happens with trackpad and BT mightymouse too... weird.

9. itsmequinn macrumors regular

I have the same problem with a macbook pro and I have already upgraded to 10.5.1. It is so frustrating to have to wait for another release for such a pain in the butt problem.

10. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

Same exact problems here too.

Non return from sleep
    Choppy mouse

11. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Logitech MX.. Choppy issue

Ya I've been trying to trouble-shoot this problem as well.
    So far from what I have read.. in regards to the Logitech Mice..
    Supposedly the LCC (Logitech Control Center) Software is not playing nice with
    Leopard. There has been mentions of pretty severe problems and also that LCC is a big memory hog...

I'm not sure if they have updated LCC lately (I d/l the latest one).. and the only problem I am seeing is choppy cursor movement, primarily when the cpu is really working.

I'm going to give USBOverdrive a test run.. see if that helps..

12. ibell63 macrumors newbie

I have this exact same problem on my MBP. First of all, when it takes forever to awake from sleep, I don't think that's really a problem. You just need to press a key after opening it, and that gets it to start waking up. If you wait long enough (usually around 30 seconds, be patient; it seems longer.) it starts running, it's annoying, but I can handle this. The real problem for me is the cursor problem, that drives me nuts because it makes the computer unusable until you restart it. I have no idea how to fix that. any help would be greatly appreciated.