After Lion Clean Install- TM restore

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Snoosedaddy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Snoosedaddy macrumors regular

I'm a noob with Time Machine. I want to do a clean install with Lion, but am concerned about using Time Machine to restore pictures in iPhoto and iTunes library. Will the Snow Leopard Time Machine backup work with Lion Time Machine restore? Don't want to lose anything, so hesitant.

2. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

Double check with time machine to make sure everything you want is backed up. Or, just back it up again to play it safe. Then do the clean install, then there should be an option that says you can restore from time machine backup, and then it'll transfer everything, which could take at least a couple of hours depending on how much stuff you have. After it finishes, everything should be exactly as it was before, same preferences, passwords, data, etc...Only thing is, there's a small chance you might run into a problem with a couple of manually installed applications (from cd or serial number applications).

3. Snoosedaddy thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was hoping to hear, well at least my wife needed the warm fuzzies, as she has tons of pictures. Thanks!!

4. Jenni8 macrumors member

In respect to this question, are their specific file folder which are backed and others are not? I already read about Front Row not included, are there any others like this that will just up and delete?