Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snoosedaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Colorado Springs
I'm a noob with Time Machine. I want to do a clean install with Lion, but am concerned about using Time Machine to restore pictures in iPhoto and iTunes library. Will the Snow Leopard Time Machine backup work with Lion Time Machine restore? Don't want to lose anything, so hesitant.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Double check with time machine to make sure everything you want is backed up. Or, just back it up again to play it safe. Then do the clean install, then there should be an option that says you can restore from time machine backup, and then it'll transfer everything, which could take at least a couple of hours depending on how much stuff you have. After it finishes, everything should be exactly as it was before, same preferences, passwords, data, etc...Only thing is, there's a small chance you might run into a problem with a couple of manually installed applications (from cd or serial number applications).

Jenni8

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
CA
In respect to this question, are their specific file folder which are backed and others are not? I already read about Front Row not included, are there any others like this that will just up and delete?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.