After Lion is released

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by cwedl, Jul 18, 2011.

1. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

If you already have the GM build installed, will you need to install the general release version?

Thanks

2. cwedl thread starter macrumors 65816

cwedl

Thanks for the advice :cool: but I did and couldn't find anything..

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It's in almost every thread here...

Anyway, the answer is no.

4. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

The GM is the final version; however, there official release could be 10.7.1 (fix bugs), in which case you can update via software update.

BTW: If you typed 'GM is Final' in Google and clicked on the first link it would have told you the answers.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

10.7.1 will have to be released to developers first, so don't expect it for at least a week after Lion is released.

6. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Yes indeedy. I'll be satisfied with and end of August release for 10.7.1. If it's sooner that's just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It'll definitely be earlier than that. They've had a few weeks already to work on patching bugs. SL 10.6.1 was out just 10 days after release.

8. wase4711 macrumors regular

its a shame that they have to have a .1 release just days after releasing a new OS, that they have had alot of time to "make right"..doesn't say much for their development/QC people..

9. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

That's good to know. Hadn't realized the "dot one" releases were so timely.

Initially my intention was to stay on SL for now but download and clean install Lion on an external. Then slowly start migrating to it over a month or so until 10.7.1.

Regardless, since I bought my mac after June 6(?) I need to get Lion within 30 days of release for it to be free. :)

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

There will always be bugs. At some point you have to decide when to ship and leave the next round of bug squashing for the first update.

11. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

You obviously never lived through all the new MS-Windows platforms and their endless daily updates. :eek:

12. wase4711 macrumors regular

I've only been computing for 25 years, so I guess you are right...

I left the Wintel nightmare 4 years ago, hoping that situations like that wouldn't be as prevalent in the OSX world as it is/was in that world..Obviously, its not that much better than Wintel was, in that regard.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

I would say it's a lot better then Windows in that and many other respects. I've switched to Mac just over six years ago and haven't looked back. In that time I've had far less headaches and frustration.