After Lion upgrade: slow computer, slow boot, freezes, etc.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smeg36, Jul 23, 2011.

1. smeg36 macrumors regular

So I upgraded to Lion the day it came out. I recently got a 2010 MBP refurb, so the upgrade was free. I did the typical upgrade option. Since doing so, my MBP has been running really buggy. It takes twice as long to boot, some apps take forever to open, and occasionally the whole computer will just freeze and I'll have to reboot by holding the power button down. I've done all I can think of to resolve the issues short of a completely clean install. Of course I did disk repair, I reset the SMC, reset the PRAM, checked Activity Monitor for running processes, and verified my disk to ensure it isn't failing. I can't figure out why it's running so slow after the upgrade. It doesn't seem like many others are having this issue as well.

So I'm trying to decide what to do to fix this. I could do a clean install, but I have a lot of stuff that would take a long time to reinstall. And I'm sure I would forget something and lose stuff in the process. If I did a clean install, and restored from Time Machine, all the issues I have would just restore as well, right? What if I did a clean install, then transferred the content of my Time Machine backup via Migration Assistant. Would that yield the same result as just restoring from Time Machine? Any other suggestions to try short of doing a fresh install and setting up the whole computer from scratch? Thanks.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Do you have any odd utilities that might be interfering with Lion? It's always a good idea to make sure any unusual stuff you have works with Lion.

3. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

Not really. Everything I use are pretty standard. Safari, Mail, iTunes, iLife, Office, VLC, gfxCardStatus, and Parallels are the most common. And I've updated them with the appropriate updates since Lion came out. I guess the only running process I'm not sure about is the MLB NextDef plugin. I'll try removing that since I usually watch MLB on my iPad or iPhone and rarely on my computer anyway.

4. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

With the MLB NexDef plugin removed it seems to be more stable so far. I'm thinking that may have been the culprit. I'll post back if my issues continue.

5. techy298 macrumors newbie

Same

I have an air with the same problems. it was a clean install as well

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Same thing happened to me. When I upgraded my computer slowed down a lot, but I think it was just all the clutter from my old system. I had over 150 apps in the applications folder and I only ever used like a third of them. Also had tons of files that I didn't need. I just decided to start over with a clean install. Lion works great now and I really like it. I just copied over the apps I needed from my old time machine backup and went from there, I'm happy I did.

7. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

I spend the day getting this problem resolved. So far it seems to be responding, booting, and functioning much better. I didn't want to do a fresh install and have to start from complete scratch. So I partitioned my hard drive for a second partition, and installed Lion fresh on it. Then during the setup chose my first partition as the HD to transfer info from. Now the second partition had all my info transferred over, so I deleted the first partition. No problem, everything was working well. Until I tried to merge the free space from the first partition with the second partition. I guess you can't do that. So I then had to reverse the process and install Lion fresh on the first partition (which was now a clean install), and transfer all my info back from the second partition. Then deleted it, and expanded the first partition to cover the free space left from the second partition.

Get all that? WAY easier than just installing everything from scratch, right. It doesn't sound like it, but it actually was because I could just leave it sitting on my desk while it transferred the info back and forth. It took a long time, but required very little work on my part.

8. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

my base line 2011 mbp is also slow sometimes i have two tabs open in safari and it starts lagging heavily:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

9. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds like what mine was doing. I would start getting beach balls and lagging scrolling with only a couple tabs in Safari, and no other running programs. Since doing my fresh install, and transferring data over (which means you don't lose any data), it has been running perfect.

10. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

40-50 seconds is a lot i think apple should just stick a SSD in every Mac because quite clearly osx lion still in its current version(10.7.3) is slower then snow leopard.

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have a hard drive filled with about 100GB and with Parallels 7 installed and my boot time is only 50 seconds on a 7200RPM hard drive.

Hard Drives will boot slow, regardless of what OS you're using. If you want fast boot times, buy a SSD. I never shutdown my system so it restores from sleep fairly fast.

12. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck