Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Whenever Lion is released, I assume all non-refurb Macs will be preloaded with Lion. Will the refurbished Macs be wiped and re-loaded with Lion, or will some be available with whatever OS version they originally had? Any idea how long such Snow Leopard equipped MBPs would be available after Lion ships? (A few hours, days, or weeks?)

(I want a refurb MacBook Pro 15" but I'm not quite ready to place my order, and I'd really like to get it with Snow Leopard, and not Lion. I prefer to wait awhile to upgrade the OS, and meanwhile I'd like the new MBP's OS to match the OS on my iMac.)

Regards,
Brian33

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
This topic has come up before on Macrumors. What I remember the last time someone asked this was that refurbs come with whatever OS that was originally installed. If you look on the Apple site at refurb policies, it states this.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
They toss an upload disc into the box

That has been my experience on several occasions...the machine comes preloaded with whatever was hip during the day of the device, and an "upgrade" disc of the latest and greatest was in the box.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I bought a refurb mini a few weeks after Leopard came out. It came with tiger preinstalled and an upgrade disk.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Thanks everyone for your info and experiences. This could somewhat relieve the pressure for me to buy right away before Lion hits!

Regards,
Brian33

Van W

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2009
I bought a refurb mini a few weeks after Leopard came out. It came with tiger preinstalled and an upgrade disk.

I had the same experience, except in 2009 with Snow Leopard (and a MBP). I was deliberately trying to get a machine with the old OS on it just in case the new one took a while to iron out the problems.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing again, just like the OP...

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
It may be that after Lion comes out that Macs that come into the shop to be checked over will be updated. If so I would not expect those to be shipped for about a month. Best to call apple directly and ask as I would think they want everyone to be using the latest and greatest version that makes it easier to buy new things from them - but I am just guessing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.