Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkRider2k3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2015
Hey everyone!

I have a mid-2009 Core 2 duo (2.13 Ghz) Macbook. My macbook stopped charging one day and found out that it was the logic board.

Today I finally got a logic board and installed it.

Battery is now charging, and mag safe is working just fine. However, I have a strange issue now that I didn't have before.

When I open it up and press the power button, the macbook powers on. I can tell that it has started up and everything as I hear the startup sound, and on my desktop I can see a sign in from the macbook.

However, the light on the front completely goes away as soon as the sound is done playing. If I close the laptop, the light comes back. I can also tell throughout this that the fans are running. I don't get any display, but i'm assuming that has to do with the monitor being in the "closed" position.

This has me completely stumped. I checked all connections and they are all on and in the right spots. I feel like it has to be loading (how else would I see it connect to my router/see a sign in from google).. so I don't know.

Any tips? Thanks for reading!!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The LED on the front comes on briefly when you first boot up. Then it goes out, when the screen lights up.
If you close the lid, your MacBook goes to sleep, so the LED comes back on (it should be bright then dim every couple of seconds, indicating sleep, not just on.)
Are you sure there is no video? shine a bright light into the display, at various angles. Do you see any menubar at the top, or windows or the dock? It will be quite dim, and may be difficult to see. The easiest to see would be to move the trackpad so the cursor will be at the top, then click to try to drop a menu. You should be able to "accidentally" hit the right spot, if anything is visible at all. And, then that's a backlight that isn't working, sometimes a bad display panel. OR you found a faulty logic board to install...

If you have a mini-DVI adapter, you should try to plug in an external display. You may find that the video works on an external.

DarkRider2k3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2015
I do actually see display. The power button does work. However, I noticed that the track pad was not working (I plugged in a USB mouse to get the cursor to move around), and the keyboard does not work either.. :\
[doublepost=1455424985][/doublepost]It is updating as I speak though. It says 4 minutes until the update is complete..

BTW, I got the logic board from Ifixit.com...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The keyboard and trackpad both use the internal USB bus, and would plug in to the logic board.
I expect that you still have at least one plug disconnected, or not seated completely. Apple's service manual spends some space showing how some of the tiny connectors can be mis-connected, and that they can be quite fragile.
The little ribbon cable that goes from the keyboard to near the fan on the logic board is easy to miss, and sometimes is tricky to seat, or (look carefully at the plug in the logic board itself) easy to damage. I have broken a couple of those, even with careful treatment. Two broke when I forgot to disconnect when opening the top case, and broke the tiny connector completely off of the logic board. You may find it is loose from the logic board.
The inverter cable (which gives you the backlight) is the flat connector directly above the airport card. If that is not fully seated, then you will not have any backlight... There should be a tiny square of foam covering that connector, so it does not move nor come loose.
Or, if you have had some previous experience, and you double-checked each connector carefully, then you have a faulty logic board.
You may want to find Apple's service manual, which has a wealth of good info.
Look on the net for a file named "mb13_early09.pdf"
You may find several sources for that.

DarkRider2k3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2015
Haha!! That was it!!

I looked over and saw it missing. It got wedged under the logic board and I didn't catch it.

I'm now assuming I damaged my upper case cable. Do you know where I can get something like that? I'd use ifixit but they don't have them in stock :(

DarkRider2k3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2015
Thanks! The part number helped me to get it. I have a keyboard/mouse I can temporarily use (to use the macbook). So glad it was nothing serious!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.