After mactheripper, w/ VOB files

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
I am unbelievably computer illiterate. I don't understand what to do. I've ripped (using MactheRipper) a movie onto my PB HD, but now I have some of these VOB files and I guess I'm supposed to use Handbrake or something to compress? Do I need to compress in order to watch the movie?

I'm doing this so I don't have to use more battery life playing directly off the dvd on my car ride down to LA.

I've done a search and turned up a lot of threads rooting for different programs but its mostly way over my head.:eek:

Thanks, in advance.
 

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
823
1
Anywhere but here
You do not need to compress the dvd to view the movie. Mac the Ripper extracts the vob files to a video_ts folder. You can view the extracted movie with apple's dvd player application. Go to the file menu in the dvd player app and select "open dvd media." Select the video_ts folder where the vob files are and dvd player should automatically open the movie.

Hope this helps.
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
taeclee99 said:
You do not need to compress the dvd to view the movie. Mac the Ripper extracts the vob files to a video_ts folder. You can view the extracted movie with apple's dvd player application. Go to the file menu in the dvd player app and select "open dvd media." Select the video_ts folder where the vob files are and dvd player should automatically open the movie.

Hope this helps.
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! I'd hug you if I could. I'm leaving for LA in about 2 hours, you just made my weekend! :D
 

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
823
1
Anywhere but here
Glad I could be of help. Hope you enjoy your stay in LA. Make sure you visit one of the several apple stores in the area. The one in the Grove is especially nice.
 

dfinn

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
52
0
taeclee99 said:
Glad I could be of help. Hope you enjoy your stay in LA. Make sure you visit one of the several apple stores in the area. The one in the Grove is especially nice.

If he did want to then compress those VOB files to save HD space, how would you go about doing that?
 

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
823
1
Anywhere but here
dfinn said:
If he did want to then compress those VOB files to save HD space, how would you go about doing that?
Simple...use a program called Handbrake. It will compress the dvd to a quicktime or avi file in no time flat.
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,689
1,185
New Zealand
"No time flat" was about 20 hours on my 1.25 GHz G4. Granted I was using 2-pass H.264 encoding though.
 

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
1,995
145
Burlington, VT
I played around with handbrake for a while one time, choosing different setting and switching between MPEG-4 and h.264. The h.264 encoding was too damn slow for me, while the MPEG-4 only took 15 minutes an episode. I found that cartoons don't really show much of a difference when ripped at either with the same size. One episode looked just about perfect at 100mb with MPEG-4 encoding. Other real live shows were better at a larger file size maybe around 150mb.

When they come out with the video iPod, it will be great to have all my Family Guy and Futurama episodes on there. A 60GB iPod could hold a lot of episodes if each is 100mb's.
 

dfinn

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
52
0
it looks like handbrake will also rip the DVD, is there any advantage to using mactheripper over handbrake for the ripping?
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,689
1,185
New Zealand
wwooden said:
When they come out with the video iPod, it will be great to have all my Family Guy and Futurama episodes on there. A 60GB iPod could hold a lot of episodes if each is 100mb's.
With an iPod, you'll be able to get away with a much lower resolution than you need on a computer screen, and the files will be even smaller :)

By the way, it's MB not mb. mb is millibits ;)
 

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
823
1
Anywhere but here
dfinn said:
it looks like handbrake will also rip the DVD, is there any advantage to using mactheripper over handbrake for the ripping?
Mac the ripper will extract the vob files from the dvd to the hard drive but does not convert them to avi or mp4 files. This program is mainly used to rip the contents from dvd in order to make copies of the original disc.

In order to create avi or mp4 files from dvd you need to use handbrake instead.
 

falconi13

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2005
2
0
Another chance

is to use DVD2One X... it's a great app compressing the VOB files to a 4.7 DVD disc... and also has the size of the compresing option for using minor sizes

C ya... ;)

Leo.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.