After many months of contemplating between MB and MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mloffa, Apr 14, 2010.

1. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

...I bought the Macbook White Unibody.

Just got back from the Apple store.
    This machine is very very nice and built impeccably.
    As much as I like the Aluminum Unibody, this White Unibody is very nice.

This is my first Apple Notebook. I have had an iMac for about 2 years.
    Any advice on the notebooks?
    Any case suggestions?

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I never used a "case" for my notebooks, I have a great bag myself. Many people love the speck cases. I tend to enjoy my notebooks without them and use a wrist guard from Best Skins Ever. I wear a watch and that is death on Apple MBPs wrist rests.

3. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Would you recommend the wrist guard even if I don't wear a watch ever? Do you think that area scratches easily?

4. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I would, especially on the MB. The white body will stain faster. I use a Moshi PalmGuard and highly recommend it. It's color matched and very durable.

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

I'm not sure it's impeccably built, as it scratches like crazy, but....

If you plan on installing windows with bootcamp, change your timezone to Morocco time zone for the summer, and London time zone for the winter so the clock is correct after a restart.

Opera 10.10 is a good browser, skype works quite well, I havn't installed a whole lot more yet :)

6. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Wow, you guys are great for these tips!
    To ^, I don't really plan on installing windows as of now..but thank you!

More tips/thoughts please!

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

Oh yeah, forgot a few little things.

Do a noise test. In a quiet room, with the mac on, you shouldn't hear any noise at a regular typing distance. With the laptop up to the ear (magsafe side), you should be able to hear the hard disk clicks and the fan just barely.

Also, do a dead pixel test. Open up powerpoint, start the presentation. Press B on the keyboard so the screen turns completely black and look for any dead pixels. Press W so the screen turns completely white, and do the same. If you don't have powerpoint, there might be a program like text edit that can do the same.

I also like to disable the pinch and rotate gesture. I find the rotation to be useless and accidently rotate things I don't like. You can disable it in the trackpad settings under system preferences.

Some cool but useless stuff :) Hold command, option, alt, and 8 and your screen colors will invert. Instead of minimizing by pressing the minus sign on a program, hold shift and click minimize and the program will minimize in a much cooler way :)

8. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Regarding the "click", I actually noticed that last night. I researched a little and it seemed pretty normal. Do you have any thoughts on it?

As for the pixels, I don't have powerpoint but I went to a youtube video that supposedly will show dead pixels and made it full screen. Didn't see any.

I haven't used pinch to zoom on any pictures yet, but I have to make the text bigger in safari. For now, I'm gonna keep that on.

I knew about the invert and minimize on my iMac..always thought those were really cool!
    :D