After Maps...search?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Thegolem, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Thegolem macrumors regular

With the Apple Google relationship breaking down will Apple now being working or maybe they've always been working on, as a back up, their own search engine to bring into play should the need arise. Now Apple are starting to use their own maps what will happen when/if they start using their own search engine? Will it have as difficult a start as Maps?

2. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

They could just switch the default search on iOS devices but leave Google as a choice and this alone would seriously damage Google.

3. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Why would they need to?

Google's search is just a website. That's really not the same thing as a built-in core app/feature, for which it makes sense for Apple not to have to rely on a third party competitor.

Also, Google's map API requires a license (with a not-insignificant fee) to use. Putting in a search field that links to a Google search doesn't (although using the auto suggestions might, but Apple doesn't have to include that).

4. Thegolem thread starter macrumors regular

If things get really nasty though Google could block idevices from acessing the Google search website couldn't they? That kinda thing would really put the cat amongst the pigeons although I was watching the ATD interview with Steve Jobs the other day and he was making the point that people are doing more search from within apps and that was 2 yrs. ago. I just started this thread so we could toss some ideas around and think about how Apple's strategy/ies could play out or what the co. might be preparing.

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Why in the world would Google do that? It is entirely in Google's interest not to. Google gains far more from having people using their search engine than Apple does.

6. Thegolem thread starter macrumors regular

If Android devices continue to gain market traction then Google might want to do it to try and stymie sales of idevices. I've noticed on the Chrome IPhone app it doesn't have text flow...not on my 4 running ios6 a/w. why is that? I had text flow my Android. Have google deliberately made it like that to put people off buying iPhones?

7. Thegolem, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012